Did I waste my money on a mulch kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NelsonLandworks, Jan 24, 2005.

1. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

I'm new-so many of you may pick that up right away on this one.

I picked up a mulching kit for our 44" snapper zero turn in hopes that we wouldn't have to bag. I hate the look of side discharge (on some of our lawns it really shows and looks s****).

but I can't use the mulching kit because we have a lot of dew in our area in the summer mornings and the deck clogs right up, creating more of a problem then its worth.

also-quick question about mulching-does it create thatch that needs to be cleaned up yearly like side discharge?

thanks for all the help guys-
    Wes

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You will have a lot of thatch try raising your deck in the spring

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have used my mulching kit for 2 plus years now and it works great. On wet summer mornings I spray the underside of the deck with pam cooking spray to keep grass from sticking under deck and if I go slow it mulches great with very little clogging. Sometime I may have to make another pass if the grass was real thick to make it look good. Another thing I try to do is the lawns that are real thick,wet, and lush is wait until about 10 AM or so to give the dew time to dry. Anything but %$% bagging! I have never had a problem with thatch. I have one healthy yard of St. Aug. that the owner pours the fertilizer to and in over 2 years of mulching still looks fantastic with no excessive thatch build up.

4. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

I"ll give the pam a shot, I used to spray it on my ATV before a race to keep mud off, the stuff works great.

thanks for the info guys

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Nelson ...

For me, I DID waste my money on a mulching kit (Exmark 36" w/b, Viking). Your concern is exactly why my mulching kit is laying in a corner -- too many wet mornings, as well as other times with wet grass. The time to mount/dismount is about 20 minutes each, so I couldn't afford the time.

No, I don't wait until dew comes off -- that might not come until nearly noon. When needed, bag the clippings and get on with the work of the day!

I know for many, mulching kits work fine, but for me - bite the bullet where necessary, bag and keep truckin' to the next job.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Bag Hell! My 36" TTHP has had the mulch kit on from day one. You can pry it from my cold dead hands. I haven't bagged a yard in 3 years or so. Don't plan on it either. A little dew certainly isn't going to make me start baggin. lol

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Ya we are the same as Roger. We don't mulch here cause in the mornings we would have a green slimy mess everywhere! We do have the mulch kit on in the fall for leaves though.

8. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Wanna sell it? Talk to me my boy.....of course...you are going to take a loss on it though. Let me know something.....

9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Who said clippings cause thatch?

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Most guys who mow cool season grass have more trouble mulching wet grass, but some of us get by anyway.

I do not know what blade Snapper uses with it's mulch kit , but you might have better luck with a Exmark mulch blade, or at least that style of blade if you can find one to fit your deck. The lower lift and downforce seems to improve things.