Did it hurt it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, May 25, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was running a 6hp mower with 16oz over the amount on the oil. The thing was smoking so much It filled the back yard with smoke. Here are some pics of it.

2. lawncare3

2 BTW: I emptied out that oil but, the dipstick doesen't gauge it too good. :mad:

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it looks fried to me!

you better get that thing fixed!

if you ran that thing around me I'd call the sheriff! and codes enforcement. and the state air pollution control dept. and EPA. and the local watershed group! the canadians will be on your butt for running that thing!

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Over the years, I have seen several homeowners do that very same thing. Too much oil. A little too much is worse than not quite enough.

1st, drain out the oil that is in it now into a clean container. Take a white T-shirt and place it over another clean container, Filter the oil through the T-shirt. When finished, inspect the T-shirt closely and hope you don't see anything you don't want to.

Then, make sure the proper amount of new clean oil is in the engine. Then take off the air cleaner, inspect and clean, it will likely be soaked in oil. Then clean the carb out and get all the oil out. Remove the spark plug in a clean environment. Get the plug wire in a safe location and pull the recoil to see if you can get it to spit up some oil from atop the cylinder. Replace plug.

If you are lucky, all it did was blow the excess oil into the carb. Fire it up if it will run and see if the smoke clears. Sometimes this may take some time depending on the mount of oil. Also, sometimes oil will make it's way to the muffler. It will spit out oil, burn oil in here and smoke until it clears.

Best of luck to you and never overfill again.
  5. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

I have to say that I really enjoy this site because you can learn a lot from...

...well, someone else's mishaps.

Hope it didn't end up curtains for your machine.
  6. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: A few years ago, a scrub company with about 4 guys using push mowers did a lawn next to my parents...They looked like bumbs, their equipment was old and worn out, had it all in the back of an extrememly **** worn out truck...they started mowing the lawn with one of the push mowers and the smoke that thing put out...the pics posted above, imagine 3 times as dense...it was so bad, the fire company came out...they actually thought the house was on fire...I tried to explain to them it was a mower and they gave me a look of "Yea, right"...after inspecting the house and saw the guy using the mower in the back corner of the lawn, they all looked at each other and started laughing hysterically, me included...the lawn guys just smiled and finished the lawn..funniest thing I ever saw...
  7. lawncare3

It still works.

It really doesen't matter because I paid $80- for it but, it was used only 4 times b4 I bought it. ;)

It still runs and seems to be wroking fine. :)

I have had it since 99' when it was made. :blob3:
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

and you wonder why none of your clients give you respect. :confused: Im no sherlock, but i think i have a hypothesis...
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I got 2 questions. When the mower started smoking, why would you run and get your camera? You know its overfilled with oil so why run it that way?:rolleyes:

I agree with MacLawn
  10. lawncare3

I didn't know it was overfilled with oil. :mad: I also had the camera in my back pocket.

Because I'm NOT jewish and 95% of them are. That's the reason they hate me.

I get respect from the rest. :)