1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Did Mulch go up...?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by dewos, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I went to get the new prices on mulch this year and was surprised when the guy that I have been dealing with the past 5 years told me 25 a yard for brown mulch. I was paying 21 -23 dollars max last year. Anyone else notice this?

Or is this guy just getting to comfortablewith my business.?

2. CGlisson

CGlisson LawnSite Member

Prices go up just about every year it seems like. I know my contractor price a yard is $25. Oh well...

3. big_belly4ever

big_belly4ever LawnSite Member

I got out of selling 2 years now as gas went up so did the price and they haven't come down. The coloring(DYE PAINT)would run about 6.00 a yard. The mill i got it from used their cut offs for mulch (not that much cost in material). he needed someone to feed grinder run grinder and painter and load and deliver semi (100 yard) loads to me. Figure the costs for machines, supplies,workers ect. I was paying $16 yard cedar.$18 yard colored. then you load or deliver what would you charge?

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, not really, I mean...
    21, 23, 25...
    It's in the ballpark, and it did go up a little but I don't think that guy's tired of being in business.

Now I drive out of the way for my mulch, but I also get colored at $18 a yard.
    Not sure if it's really worth it, it's probably about all the same money in the end.

But I did learn...
    The closer to town it is, as a rule, the pricier mulch gets.
    It might pay to shop around, and it might not.

5. GallucciLandscaping

GallucciLandscaping LawnSite Member

Where in Pittsburgh are you located?

We get it for around $23 a yard but if you buy more than 5 yards at a time the price goes down to $22 and a little change and if you buy 10 yards or more it goes down a little more and so on. We had them deliver 45 yards to a job last year and I think we got it for $18-19 a yard

6. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Where do you get yours at rutters? I live right by you..

7. GallucciLandscaping

GallucciLandscaping LawnSite Member

yea it depends on where we are working but we get a lot from rutter. Where you located at?

8. hillbilly_lawnboy

hillbilly_lawnboy LawnSite Member

too dang much

9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

yes it went up again. We are blessed to have the biggest manufactor of mulch in the state. So we can get died pretty cheap like 26.50 everywhere else is about 30-33. double ground brown is about 19-21 bucks.

10. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Penn Trafford Area I will call rutters today