1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Did Mulch go up...?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by dewos, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

My guy had to get a new sheet from the supplier because the prices went down here.

2. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

down here!

3. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

When you say brown, are we talking painted crap chips, or real brown, say..... aged pine/ceday/spruce bark? 25/yard seems like a lot for painted chips, IMO. We are paying 25/yard contractor price for Hemlock, Cedar, or REAL aged black, not painted.

4. skennedy

skennedy LawnSite Member

I read about administration called the "Kerry Bill"? I see the prices going up even more of a percentage.

5. crhoades68

crhoades68 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Most of the price increase in mulch can be attributed to mills sawing less due to the economy over the last year. Therefore, there is less mulch and thus the price goes up. It's that supply and demand thingy.

6. skennedy

skennedy LawnSite Member

For those of you that use the painted crap there are alternatives. Lots of "top spray" coloring solutions available on the internet.

7. crhoades68

crhoades68 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

We can get rough hardwood mulch for around $15/yd directly from a mill in this area.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

High quality Hardwood mulch, contractors price is 30- 35 dollars a yard here. I think it's outrageous.

At some point I want to order a load directly from the supplier in order to cut out the middle man.

9. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

I have not experienced any price increases down here.

$18 for standard brown. Good mulch I use it a lot.

$29 for black, red, or any other dyed mulch of good quality.