1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did my first driveway

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Dirty Water, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Did I do anything wrong?

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah you put the house to high up on the hill..:)
  3. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

what were they thinking? all the kids in the neighborhood are going to use it as a vert ramp. I want to see what happens the first time it snows.
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I dont think the house it to high, The road is to low. Who the hell designed that mess. Developers are going to be scratching there heads wondering why nobody bought their houses.
  5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

At first I thought this was a joke and there was a punch line somewhere.....nice skateboard ramp, nice set-up for a major law suit against the developer when the happy homeowner steps out of the garage - slips and rolls to the street on a spec of ice.....
    As far as the job goes......When we pour driveways, I always set the grade 1/4 to 3/8" lower where the driveway meets the garage slab. This prevents alot of flow from driveway into garage. (In this case that is certainly not a concern). Concrete naturally wants to crack every 10' or so, so score lines or saw cuts allow the concrete to crack, yet it is controled. Another thing we do on the edges where dirt meets concrete is bullnose the concrete edges a couple inches deeper - it holds your subbase in and also adds extra strength to your edge...just thoughts.....
    Man, I just can't get over that........city approved I'm sure.....their *ss will also be named in a lawsuit when that kid falls off his tricycle or tries to walk out the garage.......
  6. Dirty Water

RNSG: I didn't pour that one, though I've done one nearly that steep. Some people are just crazy.
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Hope it is faces south. (In case of snow or ice.) Nice Ski slope.
  8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

they can take out the houses and use the driveways as launching pads. wtf?
  9. Dirty Water

Back when I worked for a concrete contractor, we poured a similar driveway for a townhouse.

The Townhouse has two garages, one on each side of the lot, the building was a mirror image of itself.

The only problem was that the streets on either side of the lot were about 25' higher than each other. It was really a poor floor plan for that lot, but the builder went with it anyways.

So we ended up pouring a flat driveway on one side, and a 25-30 degree sloping one on the other. It was steep enough to bottom out a small car on.

Pouring it was a bear too, we had 3 guys with shovels and muck rakes pushing the concrete uphill while we rodded it, and we had it extra dry, so I got my exercise.
  10. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Amazing. Really what more can anyone say.