1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did SCAG quit making the cougar?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Appalachian landscape, May 25, 2005.

1. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't see it on thier webpage. I see the one with a bed, but no ghs.
  2. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

Yep, no ghs anymore

Seth Goings
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have a Scag Cougar that has been good for us for over 5 year. We now use it as a back-up and a bagger when we strip the lawns for planting the fall rye. The unit was very reliable and did a good job bagging or mulching. I liked the fact that you could convert it. There just wasn't any market for this unit and I wonder if exmark may have problems marketing their new unit.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea I havn't seen a Cougar in my area for about 3 years now, you used to see one every now and again along witha Scag 3-wheeler, which is currently on my wish list just as a toy for light days and around the yard
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

They are all over the place round here.
  6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

My old employer had one with a ghs and it was pretty much a lemon. Pulley proke at 22 hrs (3 days use) and he got it fixed. Another pulley broke at 40 hrs, after only 5 days use and on friday when he had purchased the unit on the previous Sat. It was in the shop twice within the first week. It didn't bag worth a crap, and clumped up more than any mower I've ever seen. He actually purchased the mower to save time double cutting the really lush lawns, and it actually created more clean up time getting the green turds out of the lawn. :rolleyes: