Did Scott's Weed and Feed burn my grass?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by HeloPilot, Jun 3, 2008.

1. HeloPilot

HeloPilot LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I spread Scotts weed and feed southern turf builder on my grass last week and and saw lines in my grass where I must have over lapped. It looked good and in some areas where I must have overlapped it looked great. An LCO told me to keep watering it and let it really sink in. My grass was only watered when it would rain here in Houston. I wasn't around and mamma never watered. It didn't look bad but needed love. Anyhow, over the last few days I started to see areas where my lawn in burning. The areas are growing larger but not crazy yet. YET. I think I might be in trouble. Any help for me here guys. PLEASE. I worked to hard to kill my grass

2. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Keep watering it in, next time don't use a weed and feed this late in the season.

3. HeloPilot

from Texas

ok. so even though it appears to be burning just keep watering? Should the burning stop, or stop spreading at least?

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Itz killed,you will know in a few hours when you burn it with fert..

5. HeloPilot

from Texas

So its killed? Is there nothing I can do or do I start watering it again? Some areas look great but it looks like it is spreading. The patches are getting a litlle bigger. It has been about a week and 2 days ago I started to notice the burning

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Post some pics. Type of turf. etc.

7. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

Personally, I think if it isn't completely dead yet then I would keep watering. As I understand it, the excess Nitrogen is what does the damage, and it is fairly easy to water it until it is dispersed enough not to kill the grass.

8. HeloPilot

from Texas

OK. That makes sense right now. Here is where I am. Last week I fertilized it. I gave HEAVY water for 4 days, more on the side of my yard where the grass was dry and just not green as green should be. OK, So I stopped watering it 3 days ago because we had a light rain and I thought ok, lets just do this every other day and see. That was when I started to see a little burn in the areas that didn't get the HEAVY water. I stopped and thought I might be over-watering. Well the area that got ALOT of water is OK and looks great. he areas that didn't are burning and moving honestly into some patches with two of them being about 3ft x 3ft. All shriveled up and dead but it does have some green strong sprouts here and there in some of the dead areas. I just started to water so i will see what happens. I tried to take a picture but my brand new camera wont open the lens cover.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When it got this hot even straight fertilize with high nigrogen will burn the grass but don't use that weed and feed it isn't any good. Much easier to spray weeds with weed-b-gon. I assume this is St Augustine? Keep watering it....and chinch bugs start about this time so put something down if you got them.

10. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you used a DROP type spreader?

Always use a broadcast spreader