did search but...?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jdwilliams1, Oct 26, 2001.

1. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

i am looking for something alittle more specific. I need to pick your brains. doing first decorative stone job, over mulch i just laid this spring. maybe you can answer a few questions for me.

1. I usually charge $52 per yard of mulch installed and pay about $14. The stone my client wants will cost me about $30. I would think the added weight would make this a more difficult product to install, hence a larger markup. Am I correct?, possibly $80-$90 a yard?

2. We have to use fabric, so, your best guess on a price per square foot on this product installed. I can get 3' x 100' for about $20. Minimal plantings in the bed. Also what fudge factor do you use for this product for overlaping. Lets say we are talking about 5,000 square feet, would you buy enough for 7,000 or 9,000???or what?

3. Finally, how far do you space you staples or stakes.

Thanks
    Jay

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

In answering your questions:

1) I could see adding the change in cost plus a little to the price, but 80-90 would be more than we'd charge. We load all wheelbarrows with a skid loader bucket, so there really isn't much more effort involved.

2) Depending on the project, I charge between $0.25-$.50 per sqft. Buy bigger rolls than 3x100. Overlap 4-6". Buy extra as you see fit.

3) Space between stakes - varies by where seams fall, chance for stone to creep underneath fabric. Sometimes 6", sometimes 5'.

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Are you removing the mulch recently installed? If not, watch that you don't smother plants with the added depth.

also, leaving the mulch then covering it with fabric you are asking for trouble with fungus and desease.

mark up sounds good, considering cost and handling of the rock.

why are you using fabric? is property irrigated? Fabric will retain alot of moisture, be careful.

If the fabric is not readily available, i would fudge a little. You should be able to measure it pretty close and have minimal overlap.

i usually mark-up materials 40-60% depending on my cost.

Installation price varies on obtructions, plants, accessability, etc..... figure the amount of time you think it'll take you at your hourly rate.

if i must use fabric (real dry area or as erosion or seepage deterrent) , i use very little staples to hold in place till topping is added (unless it's windy or i'm alone to help hold)

Dave

4. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

how deep would you go initially w/ the river rock and to you figure coverage approximately the same way you do mulch?

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i would spread it 3-5" and figure the same as mulch, by cu. yds.

length in feet x width in feet x depth in inches, then divide this by 324= cubic yards

6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

3-5 is a bit thicker than we'd go. 2-3" is typical for us.