Did search...no luck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deereman, May 6, 2006.

1. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

What is the AVG. hours use on a trimmer. I know this is just a guess-a-mit. But how long are you running your trimmers? Meaning there life expectanacy.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

the rating for emmisions on most commercials is about 300 hrs. so i would say you should get 600 hrs on a good one

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh: :laugh: I've got them that have tons more hours than that! Shoot 300 hours won't even make it through a single year for a real fulltime LCO and I've got some that are 5-7 years old, used everyday and still going strong. NOW, a crapsman, ryobnothing, and all the other homeowner brands might fall into your 300 hour lifespan :laugh: :laugh:

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i was talking about the emmisions rating (the little sticker on the engine) that says a rating of 300 hrs. on craftsman it's only 50 hours.

5. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

I had a ryobi pro that I used for 4 years. Just lucky I guess. Had to get a new one last year. Went with Dolmar. Not sure if I'm happy yet or not with it.

6. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

You will get alot of hours on it if you use a quality oil and the proper gas oil mix ratio .

7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Opti2 oil - simply the best IMO. Fairly inexpensive, also......:usflag:

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We put about 1000 hrs on Echo 260T models a year and I have had them go about 2.5 years. But they do require maintenance and some repairs to get those hours. Things like clutch shoes and crankshaft bearings/seals are two common ones for Echo. We only ran one Shindaua T270 and it has gone almost three years with on a gearbox that went out.

9. chevytrucks84

chevytrucks84 LawnSite Member

We used to use opti2 at work until we locked up 2 hedge trimmers with VERY few hours on them. Switched to echo 2 stroke oil mixed to 50:1 and haven't had a problem yet. Any one else have problems with opti2???

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a FS85 that is 6yrs old and we have put one shaft in it. A commercial grade trimmer will last many if you take care of it. Now we mainly use the old FS85 as a backup. We have mostly Stihl trimmer but one Shindawia. The Shindawia is a 261 it doesn't seem to hold up as well as the Stihls. The throttle cable is often braking and it is easy to bog down when you hold the throttle wide open.