did someone thats not a customer ever make you feel like dirt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike9497, Nov 11, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well today i was finishing a clean up for a friend of mine.my friend Jeff came along to help out it was a large lot.well we were almost done i was on the Z grinding leaves up and Jeff was running the blower.well Jeff came over and said some lady at the next house over was mad because we didn't take the leaves out of the woods and he was blowing leaves off the lawn into the woods.
    then she walked over and said the leaves in the woods go on her property and i should pic them up.i told her we were being paid to remove the leaves from the lawn and flower beds.she said i had no clue where the property line was and she wanted to show me.i said "i know where it is you don't need to show me."so she kept going on and on about the property line and i really wasn't even thinking about making her happy and jumping off the Z,but i ended up getting off the Z.then both Jeff and i made a smirk to eachother and she said don't smirk at me.i said "we weren't" she said "well thats why you type of people do this for a living."my friend Jeff said "well i don't im a plumber".she made a remark "OH YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT PLUMBERS TO DON'T YOU?"after that i felt the insults went to far.i said "Jeff start your blower and start working.lady shut your mouth and get back over to your house and mind your own biz you don't talk to my workers like that.you have a problem with what were doing take it up with the property owner or call the LEAF POLICE."she then said "well if someone was blowing leaves on your property you would do the same".i said "no i won't i would treat them with respect and not insult what they do for a living i don't see you with a 9000 mower and you live in Cheshire." (very very upscale town) she kept talking but i fired up the Z and went back to work.do you guys think i handled this okay.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You were probably nicer than I would have been Mike.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

No! I'd have given her a peice of my mind first!!! I don't tolerate mouthy people!

But yes you probably handled it better than I would have :/ lol

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

You absolutely handled it ok. I don't know that I would have handled it as well.
    Hey, at least you didn't punch this one! LOL!

This is why I always say "People Suck!".

5. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

It was a great idea to walk away than arguing with her. GOOD JOB!!

6. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

Sounds like you kept your cool, and that's better than what you (and I for that matter) probably wanted to do!!! Some people just have nothing better to do with their time.

Good Job!

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

it would depend on which side of the bed I got up on today...if it was the right side, I would have first said "pardon me?? what are you talking about?...I dont understand your problem. We need to get to work....if you have a problem I suggest you take it up with my customer...have a nice day".....click...vrrooooom

if it was the left side of the bed, which is the side I seem to be waking up on lately, I would have looked at her in disbelief, shook my head, and gotten back on the mower without saying a single word. I've found over the years that trying to have a discussion with an idiot, never is productive....and by not saying a word, it pisses them off even more....actually saying nothing in certain situations, says more than any words can say....

I think you rather nice to her given the situation...nicer than I would have been

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Leaf Police...LMAO

9. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing that can p*ss a person off more is if you continue doing what your doing, and letting them talk by themself. People hate that.

Also a comment about our line of work. You could be working at a JOB making an average of $15 or less like 95% of the population. You tell me who's the smart one? The one making money or the one making someone else's money. In this business, we make the $$$

You did well in the situation. I blow off people that don't play nice. Besides, they have bigger issues than nagging about leaves.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes, she should of treated you with respect from the get-go. Had it crossed you mind that you should have not been blowing the leaves onto her property? Reguadless if it was woods or not, I think the disrespect was started on your part. Personally myself I would have not minded if someone asked me first, but she had no reason to dish out the insults like she did.

MATT

I re-read the post.....is the woods part of your friends property and she was just complaining that the leavs from the woods blow on your her property? If this is the case, then you did nothing wrong.