Did the first 50 maintenance

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by RonB, Jul 5, 2006.

1. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

on my Super Z 60/27 this weekend. New hydro filter and fluid too, changed oil and filter and greased the fittings. Ran it about 30-40 minutes after, checked everything and looked good.

Today I go to start it and it turns over but doesn't start. checked gas, fuses etc. then took out a plug - no fire. I called the dealer and said it sounded like the magneto? Anyways I took it in and they started tearing into it right away.

I'll keep you updated.
    RonB

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Did you pressure wash the mower?
    Let me know what happens.

Pj

3. RonB

No Pj - not that into clean. Rain is all the washing it gets and it hasn't for around a month - until yesterday. While taking it in it rained. Grass has been dry, dry, dry here.

4. RonB

Pj - I did air blow around the filters before removing, but you got me thinking with that pressure washing question. I went back to the manual because I recalled something about it when reading up on the how-to on the hydro filter changing.

In the Note, the last sentence it talks about using compressed air or pressurized water only to clean the heat exchanger fins. Although it's suggested in the maunal, would pressure washing not be a good idea?

The reason I ask is because you asked and I know many on here seem to pressure wash mowers.

5. RonB

Dealer called - mowers "fixed" - it wasn't really broken from what he told me. After taking much apart and not finding a problem he called Hustler. They told'em to unplug a brown sensor wire - andjust like that it fired. Had to do with the servicing interval or somethin ..

Hustler said "we're going to have to put out a note about that ..". Dealer said 'duh". lol

Off to pick'er up.
    RonB

6. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 LawnSite Member

i pressure washed mine after about 20 hrs cleaned up pretty good but still needed to do ailttle scrubbing to make is look clean, but then again its a mower and aslong as everything runs good i dont care what it looks like.

7. RonB

update - the dealer had called Ken at Hustler and the brown wire is some sort of safety device (?). They had to remove the top engine cover, unplug the wire, turn the key to turn it over then plug it back in. That's how it was fixed.

Ever heard of that before?

8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There must be a safety or relay somewhere not working correctly, unplugging that wire bypasses the entire ignition wiring system.

9. RonB

Your right Pj something else is wrong. After cutting today I went to load on the trailer and it wouldn't start. The battery was dead and wasn't charging. They are going to replace the regulator.