1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did this guy not pay attention?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartlawnmain, Apr 15, 2004.

1. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Gave this man and his wife a estimate for spring clean-up, dethatch, aeration and fertilizer. Included were clean beds, remove gumballs, etc... They declined this wonderful $1600.oo offer. Then, today I'm at their house mowing and doing some spraying when the guy asks me if I'm gonna' clean these beds out. I kinda' gave him "the look" and told him that was on the estimate he had declined. He says, "I thought that'd be included in the maintenance contract" which is about $200.00 a month. He'll get back with me on whether or not he wants it done now.
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Get as much $$$ from them as possible and then get the hell out of there, sounds like they are gonns be nothing but trouble
  3. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

The only good thing I have going is the wife is very sweet and she keeps the checkbook at home with her. I'm gonna' feel 'em out a little. He seems like he could be an a--hole but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Has lotsa' money! Maybe after they see the quality of work and their lawn starts looking good, they'll bend a little.
  4. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

I hate that. I went to a lower end home in a higher end neighborhood the other day. She wanted hedges timmed, tiny yard mowed, and a spring cleanup. I explained all the costs to her, I could have done the cleanup in 2 hours by myself, she declined the $150 offer, and said she'd get them herself. Her yard is tiny so I was mowing it for $30, she wouldn't go for the extra $20 to bag even though it had yet to be mowed this year and everyone else is on 3rd mowing. I explained to her that if she wanted to agree to a service plan with me that I would do the first mow for free. I trimmed the hedges for $35, mostly just because I had to use my new stihl trimmers. Well, she called back 3 or 4 days after i mowed and trimmed. She wanted to know why I left so many leaves, why there was still so many clippings on the yard, and if I could re-do the hedges and make them a little smaller.... Oh yeah, could you mow next weekend and then maybe we'll get it ourselves from there?? and of course she had a puzzled look when I explained that she had to pay for the 1st mowing now. I don't understand why when you shoot someone a price they automatically think they can do it themselves, but never do.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

GREAT example of why you should never give "free mows" except at the END of a season if someone signs up. And why I never give a "flat rate" price to "trim shrubs". What does "trimmed" mean to a customer who has no idea about how they're done or why they're kept at a certain size? I observed the guy I worked for get in repeated arguments with customers over shrubs and what constituted "trimmed" and decided then and there not to do that.

Finally, put every thing done on a maintenance plan in writing. I use a pre-printed carbonless form with a checklist of items, including bagging, so that there's no argument later. Just show them the form (they should have a copy) and there's no claiming they misunderstood later.