Did you break my window?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PGA, May 12, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Just got a call from a guy asking me if I broke the window on his house. He said when he got home his window was broken and he had found the guilty rock which happened to be laying in a rock bed in front of the house.

It was a double paned window but he said only the outer pane was shattered.

Heres my problem.

At no time does my chute face the house when Im mowing. Also I cant imagine a rock coming out of a mower and shattering the outer pane of glass but not making it through to the second pane. Im a little leary on paying for it but I told him I would come by tommorow morning and take a look at it.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What about when you were weedwacking? Could the wacker have thrown up a rock then?

3. PGA

Possibly but the window is about 15 feet ABOVE the bed. And the rocks that are in the bed are fairly large. Large enough to where if I hit one with a trimmer they wouldnt move.

4. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

The same thing happened to me back in 2003. I take care of a nursing home facility which is where my story takes place at. The administrator asks if I hit his office window with a rock and I told him not that I know of and if I would have I would have been sure to tell him about it. He insisted that I must have done it, so I did not want to piss him off as it is a very good account. I told him that I would take care if it and called my insurance man and he said no prob. It is kind of like car glass he told me and I did not even have to pay my deductable towards it.So it did not cost me a dime for it and the administrator is a happy camper!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

unless you are mowing like Joe Homeowner race track style, it has to when you turn

6. PGA

Not on this house it doesnt. When I do my perimiter Im blowing the grass IN. When I get in front of the house and Im making a turn the chute is facing IN again.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I once had a stone fly off one of my Redmax trimmers and fly a good 150' and blow out the back window of a SUV...I would have not believed it if I hadn't seen it right before my eyes. It missed a woman and the baby she was carrying by about 3 feet...literally scared the bejesus out of me that day.

Anything is possible IMO.

8. PGA

Its possible but I cant see it happening. The rocks are too big to fly out anyway. He also said he has the rock. Somehow he managed to pick out the guilty rock out of a bed of rocks. That seems a little shady to begin with. Im going to take a look at it tommorow. That rock better not be smooth...

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

dont you just love it when the put rocks in the flower beds next to where you will be mowing? the same happened to me with my worst pita. i was hoping she would fire me and put me out of my misery but she claimed it on her homeowners insurance and didnt fire me.

10. PGA

Another problem I have is that the bed is surrounded by brick so the rocks cant spill out.

THe whole thing just seems very shady to me.