1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did you "bump" my wife?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by eyes&earsopen, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

Hey fellas. I hope all of my fellow newbies are doing as good, or better, than me.

I was waiting for it to happen and it just did. I live on a main street (for my neighborhood) and my truck has my a door mags on it with my company name and number. I was waiting for some nut to try to play games on my cell phone. After not receiving any calls from my mags for the past year I had given up on them - but they remained up. In the last two weeks I picked up two new lawns from them and then came today... I get a guy who lives down the street, he starts out talking about his yard and then out of nowhere he asked "did you f@%$ my wife?" I waited to see if he was just going to hang up but there was silence. I told him no and that I don't even know anybody on this street except for my inlaws. He says that his neighbors told him that they saw a young black male leaving his house and it created some discussion. I'm still waiting for the guy to say "I'm joking". All he said was "well I gotta ask". Then he asks me if I cut some other lady's yard on the street that I don't know, and I said no. Before I hang up he's like "well are you still coming to give me an estimate". I was going to go down there but not really to do an estimate but just to see who I'm dealing with. On second thought though, I think he wants me to come over so his neighbors can see me. I'm also like this guy might have a weapon. I'm not pressed for the yard, but I feel like if I don't handle the situation somehow then maybe I seem guilty to this guy. Furthermore, maybe he chooses to do something ignorant down at my house. I got a wife and I don't want any problems. I might call him back and just tell him I'm not the guy, and if he's having those types of marital problems then it wouldn't be in my best interest to be working for him.

Usually I wouldn't even give this a second thought - I'd just blow him off and go about my business. However, this is awkward to me because he knows exactly where I live. I can handle myself but I don't want to endanger my wife in any way; she just received a kidney from her mother in Jan.
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd ignore him. Anything else happens, call the police.

I see you're in Ohio. Do you have a carry permit?

And hell no, he wouldn't get an estimate from me.
  3. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

First thing you gotta do is find out what his wife looks like.....
  4. eyes&earsopen

No no permit yet, but I was just considering it this past weekend. I have been hearing this ad on this radio station that I listen to and due to the times I thought about looking into it. The estimate is a definite no.
  5. eyes&earsopen

Based on how the guy sounded I don't even think that's important. Unless he's like the guy who married Anna Nicole and then croaked. He sounded a little older, maybe mid to late 50s. Only thing is he said he had a red car in the driveway and a month ago I did see a good looking female mowing a yard down there with a red car parked out front. I don't think it's the same house though.

He hasn't called back so I'm not worrying about too much anymore. Like I said though he'll get rolled up if he makes his way down here.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

A little humor here, dont go in the HOLE if you mow that yard, lol. Back in my high school days, Ihad a few friends that always hung around together, one time one of them called a girl and she was grounded or something and her father took the phone and demanded to know who was on the other end of the line, that turd gave them MY number and name and the father called my parents. I got acussed of BUMPing the girl and I wasnt even dating her. Something like this may be going on now, maybe someone just saw your name and number on the truck and used it for an escape

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Tell him your not black, more like a cocoa brown so theres no way it could have been you. :clapping:

Works for a friend of mine :waving:

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Very funny-- and Mac too, But I would just stay away from it. Totally!
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, I had a couple uncomfortable events with my neighbors over the years.

Nothing as wicked as this, but still very uncomfortable for me... Stuff like their kids running around my acre lot... Then I get these notes on my door, talk about I should be more careful how and where I leave my equipment because one of their kids might get hurt.
    So I went out and bought some security cameras and a monitor and all that bs, cost me a few hundred and it's a cheapo (no recording, black and white) but once I put those cameras up, I haven't had a problem since, even the Jehovah's and the Mormons stay out.

And since I keep to myself and do no work for friends, family, or neighbors... That bs is out of the question, too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is (and I don't mean this in a bad way) but you gotta act like you don't play.
    So put on a sad or serious look, the more sober, the better.
    Don't look like you're having fun, don't look at people, keep your eyes where they belong (again no offense, just trying to help).
  10. eyes&earsopen

"Only thing is he said he had a red car in the driveway and a month ago I did see a good looking female mowing a yard down there with a red car parked out front. I don't think it's the same house though."

Took the dog walking a little while ago and it is the same house where I saw the good looking girl mowing the yard a few weeks ago! That was funny but I don't think that girl is this guys wife. I thought it was a bunch of college kids that lived there or something - at any rate I didn't hear anything from the guy so I'm not going to worry about it. The yard has been a mess for the past three years. I'd rather see her out mowing it again rather than myself, she is nice looking. For all I know the guy might have been drunk or high earlier. I have often noticed several empty cases of bud & bud light in their trash on pick up days.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.