Did you cut the lawn it doesnt look like it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NNJLandman, May 31, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer who we are going to be doing a plant install at and we have done several other misc. jobs at the property, so the husband gives me the go ahead to do the plant install, wife calls says wait til we get home from vacation....they go away for 2 weeks, I get a call she asks me to go by cut the lawn for them they come home in 4-5 days. So they lucked out because it is inbetween houses so I cut it for them. They come home okay lets get going with the landscape work they say, then she goes did you cut the lawn it doesnt look cut.....Why is the husband so easy going and the wife is so doubtful and like jus i dunno what to call them. Everytime I do a project for them I get the go ahead from the husband and then the wife stops me, the guy is really nice but the wife jus cant make up her mind, I want this work to be over.

2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

she is obv a whooore and you should feel bad for the husband lol..Howabout dont get your hopes up anymore just go straight to the wife first or just ask the husband are you sure your wife isnt going to back out? charge her some waste of your time fee for filling your shcedule

How about this one we cut a lawn and the wife called and said it didnt look like it was cut i should cut lower... i said i have the mower on the lowest setting it cant be cut lower the next week

Then she is like you left grass clippings around this (dirty cutup) outdoor carpet(thats on the grass) that is around a dollhouse. I was like ma'am you just said there where grass clippings left and i apoligize for that and how did it get drity if we didnt cut it like you said?
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It almost always is the old ladies isn't it?! I have a lady that was just getting home as I was packing up to leave. I said hello & started getting into my truck. She came over & asked "Well aren't you going to mow???" I think that people consider a scalped lawn a "manicured" lawn. What they don't realize is that their version of "manicured" and ours are two completely different things. Ours prevents weeds & browning.
  4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

So many people know nothing about lawncare and think that scalping is the way to go. Will even say the lawn was so nice when we first had it sodded, we have no idea how all these weeds got here.
  5. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Since we are on the topic of cutting height, how do you tell your customers that you will not be cutting any lower? This is a reoccuring problem for me, especially with new clients.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, well after you've been through what I have, you won't change your cut height for nobody no more, either.

They never ask me this no more, then again I hang up / fail to answer / refuse to estimate or work on most of those yards if I so much as faintly detect the scent of pita, I run so fast.

You want custom cut height?
    Call someone new.
  7. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

Well, I mean I run a very small operation and would rather just cut a bit lower than lose a client. But I would still rather be able to convince them to cut it at a proper height, though.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Oh boy... I get that from time to time... which is way more than I'd like.

When growth is normal or more towards the slow end I get it a lot more.
    In other words, if the post-mow change is not dramatic, these questions start coming in like... did you cut?... why did you cut it higher than last week?... can't you cut it shorter?...

IN OTHER WORDS, AS I WAS SAYING IN MY OTHER THREAD, THEY WANT TO KNOW THAT YOU BROKE YOUR BALLS TO 'EARN-IT' EVERY WEEK. Heaven forbid you catch a little slack and only have to cut off a couple inches, right?

On the flip side, when it's growing like wildfire, you have a whole set of other BS.
  9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I always just let them know that we can go a bit lower, but I wouldn't recommend it for two reasons:

1) There are some uneven areas in the lawn that, if we lower our blades more, will cause scalping in the lawn. By scalping, it may cause the grass to die off leaving room for weeds to enter their nice green lawn. (I might not go that far, but you get the point)

2) We cut at this height because it is recommended amount to be cut off each mowing. If more is cut off, there will be a greater chance for thatch & drying out & in essence more work will be created than is really necessary.
  10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

tell me about it, that or they complain about the grass left over after a cut, but theyre your bi-weekly customers, they dont pay for weekly rates which would have less grass mess by far, or then they want you to bag it bi-weekly or bag it for me. which i dont do, but cut it low lol

I had a guy for a couple years like this, id just say ok ok.. but he literally wanted it cut crazy low and bagged, i did this once when i first started out and was there for over an hour for a $35 lawn because ever 20 seconds iwas filling a bag, then having to empty all them in stupid trash bags, F that, $150 now lol.