did you ever start, and not finish?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 11, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in relations to gar"s cleanup thread, did you ever start a job, within minutes realize you were way off, and just pack it up real quick and leave? i must admit, i have, more times than i would like to admit. there were many times i screwed up cleanups, and within 10-15 minutes realized i was a mile off, and just got my stuff and left. there was one time when the client actually called and said, "hi, listen i understand that u came in too low on your price, i am willing to pay more money if u r interested in comming back to finish." but, that was only once. well, did you ever?

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Never. If I made a misake that bad, I would stick to what I agreed to, and learn a valuable leason, and I would remember that leason more, than if I just left.

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Many times, I would have like to have walked away, but I never have. I can't imagine what would have happened to our reputation over the years if we had not kept our word. Stick to you price, eat the loss, and you'll usually get the chance to work for the people again and make some profit. Walkaway and you'll never hear from them again, and most likely never hear from 10-20 of their friends either.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

4. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have bid jobs wrong. I must admitt that I stayed and did them, a good name is worth more than gold. I know that in the long run it will help me be better and be better respected.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah. did you ever start and then have them want more done for the same price and end up swearing at them and leaving? Yeah, i did that too. So did you go back bobby?

6. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I never have...there have been times that I wanted to, but didn't. It actually really helped me in my bidding because I am MUCH more careful now.
    The first cleanup I ever did I was off by probably 3-4 hrs, but I did it anyway, and learned that I need to always bid higher than I think I need to.
    I have also had a lot of success with the high/low method. with that method I have a little insurance if the job takes longer than I think it will.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

how the heck you guys respond so quick? in 4 minutes i got 12 veiws and 3 replies. don't u guys have anything better to do, than write things on lawnsite? anyhow.....this one time, this lady asked for a price on leaf cleanup, at her mom's house, and hers. i quoted her mom's forst, at $90(got my butt kicked real bad, 2.5 hrs labor, an entire truck of disposal), well, i guess cus of my price on her mom's house, she never even asked how much for hers, just said, "do it." well, i did hers, when i was done she said , "how much?" it was more than double her mother's house. she freaked, i explained i "messed up" on her mom's. she still freaked. i felt real stupid, but i got paid. never heard from either of them again.

8. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I can believe that bobbygedd, as far as never hearing from them again. Even if she never asked, I would want her to know upfront, much less thinking it would be more along the price line of her mom's service.

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

once when i started it was a rainy fall and this yard was a swamp after a hour and no progress on a huge lawn i talked to the customer and told them i underestimated the weather and the amount of leaves and gave them the option of more money or leave it to rot they let it rot
    after that by the hr. and never looked back

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

lawnman scott, yes, that time i went back, finished, named my price, and got paid. but there were a hundred other times i just split. i'd rather be known as the guy who ran away, than the guy who works for $2 bucks an hour. how can u ever prosper by staying and finishing? at this point you have set a price standard, if u finish, they will always want you to work cheap, if u stay, then the next time they ask for something, and u quote a realistic price, they will think u r screwing them. it's a lose lose situation. i'm glad i ran .