Did you get screwed by your friends?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if this is in the right forum but for the guys that have been in this business have you gotten screwed over by your friends. My friend stole 2 of my accounts and knew what I was charging and found out the secrets that I do because I was stupid enough to hire him for help last summer and now he has his business!! He wont talk to me and we got in a big argument and we are at a point that if I saw him I would beat him with a crow bar. I lost about $350 a month feels like I got robbed. What should I do guys?

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

not too much you can do if price was the only factor in the customers switching...however quality and workmanship will always prevail. see how he does and maybe he wont make it and youll get them back

3. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

Lifes got plenty of hurdles without him adding to them..Be the better man- shrug it off- move on. Forgive but don't forget. Work on replacing accounts and let your workmanship and how you carry yourself do your talking. If he done this to you..he will 'rip' his customers off too and it will eventually bite him. Good luck

4. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

you don't want customers like that anyways he did you a favor. Now there his problems and he will soon be replaced as well

5. Green Boots

Green Boots LawnSite Member

I would call the customers and tell them "If he would do this to a friend, imagine what he'll do to you". I don't take the high road when it comes to backstabbing.

6. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

I wouldnt advise involving the clients, that would be both immature and unprofessional. :hammerhead:

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

BUT if the customers ditch him to come back, it's an automatic increase in price over what you were originally charging them.

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Forget about it, move on, get over it.

Run some ads, and get new customers. If it wasn't your friend, it would have been someone else. It is just business. My friend and next-door-neighbor compete all the time. And we help each other out all the time.

9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Been there and best thing to do is move on. It will be tough to see him but revenge is alway sweet and be cool but know when to strike back when the time comes.

10. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

nothing

for 350 a month hes never going to ask you for anything...write it off as a learning experience....