Did you know...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, May 6, 2005.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you all aware that all mowers produce over 95 decibles. Anything over 85 decibles for over 8 hours WILL cause perminant hearing loss. I always wear my hearing protection when running the mowers and blowers, and hearing protection and safety glasses when running the trimmers. So, if you don't want to loose YOUR hearing, wear hearing protection. Do you?
  2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I always wear hearing protection.
  3. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what about 21'' mowers? they don't seem to be but so loud
  4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I borrowed a decibel meter and tested my Snapper 21" w/ 4HP Briggs engine and it was 96 decibels.
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I started mowing lawns in 1982 at the age of 10. Didn't wear ear protection when I was a kid and now I definitely have a ringing in my ears. I always wear hearing protection now and have for many years. Just wish I did when I was younger.
  6. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Always wondered how guys use machines all day without hearing protection.
    Most guys on the local council dont wear them even though under their occupational health and safety regulations they should.
    If i go 5 mins without them it annoys the life out of me.
  7. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Yeah and it always stumps me to see guys running trimmers without eye protection. What can you say?
  8. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

If it is running, I wear ear & eye protection, mower, trimmer, anything.

Dangerous misconception: when you have lost some hearing and the equipment does not sound loud anymore, protection from additional damage is even more important. Just because it does not sound loud, your are losing what little hearing you have left. This is not opinion, a very good friend is a hearing audiologist.
    Much better safe than deaf :cool:
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I always wear eye protection when trimming, need to start wearing ear protection too. After working on my car for a couple years all the grinder noise has put a hurting on me, have a slight ringing in my ears if it gets quiet and cell phones are horrible.
  10. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

Iwear my eye protection 90 % of the time and never wear hearing protection,statring tomorrow eye and hearing protection 100% of the time!!!