1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

did you start out full time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Feb 17, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

if you did ,
    how many lawns did you cut(or have) after a couple mounths?
    how did you get them?

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I started full time with 5 commericals and one or two residentials. The job was offered to me, I couldn't turn it down. That was a little over 2 years ago. Now I have a handful of residentials and 6 commericals. I have been very forunate to have been given this oppertunity. I am still solo at this point.
  3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

In Feb. and March I started passing out flyers in targeted neighborhoods. By April I had 14 customers and no commercial equipment (I did have a load of experience). April I bought equip. to match the jobs I had. End of the first year I had 43 customers (3 of which were condos),1 employee and more equipment than I could store. In the spring if your out there doing a good job customers will find you. That was 4 years ago. I now have 93 customers.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I was much the same way as Russ. I had been out of the biz for a few years using that accounting degree. On march 1 I put an ad in the paper and by march 15 I had to make up my mind to go full time or not. I didn't have one piece of commercial equipment left, so I had all these properties and nothing to cut with. Made it alot easier to pay out cash for equipment. Bought another guy out and had a helper by April 1. You can have more than you can handle very quickly.
  5. WatkinsLawn

WatkinsLawn LawnSite Member

I worked for an application company from the time I was 19 to 22 years old. I bought a new 48 Scag, 1 Ryan LA4 aerator, 2 Lawnboy 21 inch push mowers, 1 Echo string trimmer, 1 Echo handheld blower, 1 Little Wonder walk behind edger, a trailor and a lot of misc. tools. I quite my job at the other company and went into business without a single customer. My new wife at the time was MAD for leaving my job and bying all that equpment without a single customer. She left me a couple weeks later. With a broken heart, 2000 brochures I bought from Nebs Forms, a lot of ambition and time I distibuted my brochures in a couple of neighborhoods in February and first of March. In the first week of April I only had 12 accounts. But as I began mowing the phone started ringing more and more. By the end of May I had 50 accounts. By the end of that first year I had 70 and the wife came back.
    That was 8 years ago. Since then that wife and I divorced and I had to sell the company. I went to work for another company and after a couple years there I went back into business for myself (1997). Now, I am remarried (to a GOOD woman) have a bunch of kids and business is booming! I now have 3 trucks, 2 trailors, 5 commercial mowers, 2 aerators, a whole bunch of hand held equipment and tools. I'm adding another spray truck in two weeks and another mower.
    I LOVE this job! I couldn't imagine ever working for someone else again. Good Luck to you!

6. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been kickin it since age ten, mowing the old bats lawn next door. Peaked at 30 accounts Senior year in HS. Then went to college, still cut around 25. Graduated from college wanted to get out of cutting, then found out what good money i was making. Right after 26th birthday, I set out on a mission, spent 25,000 i didnt have, quit my job delivering beer, and proved alot of naysayers dead wrong. Have roughly 60 accounts. Mostly do maintenaince, finishing up masters in education and looking to rock and roll this summer with a new 61 turf tiger. A local contractor and I are going halves on a chipper and wreaking havoc with a full line up of stihls. I just turned 28, nearly all equipment paid for, single, and loving it. Who wants to work for the man anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I started full time but I have worked for other lawn cares for the past 10 yrs so I already knew all I needed to start. The first year i bid up a storm and got 30 mowing accts. and 40 fert accts. this year looking to add 15 - 20% more.
  8. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, jumped in full time after quite a bit of research.
    Had maybe 25 customers after first 2 full months but that was in the middle of summer. Year round contract customers was around 8 or 10 or so after couple months. The annuals are a slow but steady grow (for me anyway).
    I ran a small ad in the local paper and targeted some area's with flyers in my neighborhood.
  9. Ace 1

Ace 1 LawnSite Member

Well jumped in full time this year. Traded the beer truck in for a new Grasshopper mower and a bunck of Shindaiwa gear and put out 150 doorhangers last week already signed 15 accts. And 2 good commercials hoping to get some more out soon, Hope i will be as fortunate as all you have been the old lady is getting short with me not working but keep telling her it will work good luck to the rest of you.
    Ace Lawncare
  10. Patfo

Patfo LawnSite Member

I'm on the edge of jumping in full time. Been part time for 6yrs. Bought a 36in belt w/b last year and had 20 accounts mow, trim, and blow mowing after work (had to turn some down-no time). I'd like to build to 40-45 accounts just offering mow, trim, blow and leaf pickup in the fall. How many others are full time w/ this equipment and offering these services (or started w/ this)? I'm hoping I can add enough accounts to step up my equipment and not have to finance. Any thoughts! THANKS!