Did'nt anybody find it odd ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Az Gardener, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

That a web site that is dominated by people who cut Grass for a living is announcing that a new advertiser is a company who eliminates mowing jobs? Of course I am referring to pro lawns. It brings to mind a picture of an old blacksmith / farrier with a poster on his wall advertising that newfangled horseless carriage. I'll bet he never figured that it would amount to much "just a niche market". We will see, I have lost one account to syn lawn no big deal yet. What say you, lawn jockeys of the web?!!!
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I don't think it will amount to any significant loss in my lifetime.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think it will either but i did find it odd. I wonder how one of those fake turf lawns would hold up to the family dog urinating on it, pooping on it, leaves falling on it, and the weight of the heavy snows. I think they are great for putting greens but thats it.

But then again maybe there will be a maket for washing artificial lawns?
  4. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

didnt they try that in the 60's and it didnt catch on that well? granted, we do have better turf now, but i wouldnt worry about it
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I really don't see it that way. Just cutting grass at least for us, doesn't pay all of our bills. We are always looking for ways to make more money, or add on different services.
    This forum isn't just about cutting grass, it's about the whole green industry and different aspects of it. There are $$$'s to made by installing putting greens, i'm sure of it.
  6. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I had a guy approach my company about it, that was two years ago. I told him I didn't think it would be a big money maker for me at this time. I still haven't seen one yet! So I think that sums it up, at least in my area.
  7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Sure there are add on services but you need to be at the property on a regular basis to get the add on services. Its a lot like the anchor of a shopping center. Sure people still go to shops and restaurants in small strip centers but the big box anchor is just that, the anchor it holds the whole thing down/ together. You stop at Wall Mart and do your shopping then come out the kids want ice cream because Baskin Robbins is right next door. If they are home wanting ice cream its unlikely Baskin Robbins will make a sale. If I am not at a home on a weekly basis to mow the lawn my whole service is disrupted scheduling every 3-4 weeks to prune? All I hear on this site is how nobody likes to prune, Its all about the mowing. The beauty of maintenance is you only have to sell the base service once then its like a perpetual motion cash machine. I cant speak for others but I don't have to submit a bid for seasonal flowers or overseeding or anything else provided I am giving the client good service. This web site is a Green Industry site and I understand that but lets face it it is DOMINATED by people who cut lawns. I don't think Ma bell ever saw cell phones wrecking her market. The syn lawn companies that are around here are very aggressive franchise types they don't landscape, they don,t maintain they get in and out and make the $$$ I don't see a regular L/S contractor competing with them. In many cases they own the product lines they are selling. I too believe that total domination will never occur but for Maintenance services in urban areas where lawns are typically no more than 3,000 sq ft. You may feel the crunch sooner than later. I remember when calculators first came out and they were 100's of dollars, why would syn lawns be any different. They have the backing of many municipalities (save the water) the technology is only going to get better. Products out today are significantly better than the ones just five years ago. Wake up and smell the coffee were all doomed :dizzy: :dizzy: But really I think this is a significant topic for this site.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Theres a boat load of money to be made in the correct way of installing putting greens. And the best part is that only a few co. offer the service at this point in time. I hate to see a great idea made available to all the contractors, it takes a bite out of my bottom line :cry:

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

It will probably gain a foothold in the urban market. I don't see it for the suburbs. In the city there are MANY land locks lawns where you actually have to take your equipment THROUGH THE HOUSE ;) Can you imagine working like that, both contractor and homeowner!
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I can see Az's point but then look where he is. A syn lawn won't brown out in Arizona, it doesn't need water and always is green. Now there are some people who want that kind of thing just because of the climate. The same thing is happening in the research field, PGR's, engineered seed ect, anything to reduce the maintenance of lawns is a hot topic.
    I personally don't know of a Syn lawn installer in my area. The GB Packers play in an outdoor stadium here in Wisconsin and they still have natural turf. I am not gonna be to concerned about acres of synthetic turf taking over the countryside, it aint gonna happen. If they spring up as putting greens thats great. If they start showing up as postage stamp lawns, who cares?

There is always gonna be lawn to mow for me, even if it is in my own yard.