Didn't feel like working today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jul 20, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I went out with a schedule of lawns today, but only three of them really had to be done, the rest were so brown and dried up from drought that they shouldn't be done.

Well, I finish my first lawn and then a mood came over me. I just wasn't in the mood to work anymore for the day. So I went home and just sat on the couch watching TV.

Where is my motivation today? Anybody else ever have that happen to them?

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

That happens to me and i never feel like finishing the last two or three jobs that day.

trevo

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

the first hour of the day is vital to me. from the second I wake up for the next hour can go either way. My clock is set to wake me up at 7 a.m., my guy gets here between 8 and 8 :15. if i over sleep, or get frustrated before i leave the driveway..... i always want to call it a day.

that's one of the biggest beniefts of working completely solo, or having one guy...... if you have a guy you know is going to show up, you wind up working even if you didn't want to and being glad you did at the end of the day!

5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

only time i'm not in the mood is when it rains,i need the money to survive.and ever chance i have to make it i will...

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I no longer do physical labor. I enjoy growing the business and so forth, but I after several years of mowing I don't want to touch a lawn. This is what I worry about with solo operations. If you don't have a crew capable of running around cutting lawns for you, what are you going to do when you are much older and your body is too weathered to handle the job? What if you get sick?

My new job is on the phone, and on the computer, and out giving bids for work, which I won't do. Never been happier.

7. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the hardest time getting motivated on dreary, overcast days. Thankfully there aren't to many of them in FL. Some days when I don't have a lot going on, if I don't get out the door by at least 8:00, there is a good chance I'm staying home. These are the days when the work isn't on any kind of a timeline to be completed. Its usually just trimming shrubs at a full service account.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

yes..i feel your pain on these days that its over 100 degrees. But, I dont have cable anymore and there is nothing of the 4 channels i do have...so tv is not much of an option. Like ya said, some lawns are brown and dont need mowing, so somtimes i just do these bi-weekly now. I feel guilty mowing them sometimes because if it wasnt for the leaves on the ground, I would have no idea where I have already mowed.

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

if it get's over 95 I'm on the couch with 65 temps

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Every now and then I don't feel like working, but I just suck it up and get to work. A day off is a day behind and pissed off customers. It is a lot different taking a day off when your route isn't full than when it is full and there are extras to get done. I mentally couldn't sit at home watching tv when I knew there was a lot of work to be done.