1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Did'nt get the lawn.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grayghost_32, May 1, 2003.

1. grayghost_32

grayghost_32 LawnSite Member

I received a call yesterday evening in response to an ad in a local newspaper.A lady wanted a free estimate.Her current LCO has been a no show for 3 weeks.The reason is he was charging 30.00 for a 50.00 lawn.I quoted the price for 50.00.She said another LCO said 40.00 and that it was to much.So i said well thanks anyway.2 years ago I would have got that lawn.I need the work but not that bad:D
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just look at it this way...she will get what she paid for.
  3. grayghost_32

grayghost_32 LawnSite Member

Exactly.I finally learned to walk away.My prices are no longer negotiable.;) More better this way.
  4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

"Her current LCO has been a no show for 3 weeks.The reason is he was charging 30.00 for a 50.00 lawn."

"just look at it this way...she will get what she paid for."

Sounds to me like she is ALREADY getting what she paid for! :p

"Exactly.I finally learned to walk away.My prices are no longer negotiable. More better this way."

Truer words have never been spoken! :D
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

It is sometimes good to let accounts like that go. They usually are not happy with anything and always say "... the other company, this and that ..."
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

There are customers that go to the finer restaurants and order steak.
    There are customers that go to the fast food restaurants.
    There are customers that cook at home.

Same for lawns.

When they order from me they are getting steak. I have never been in a steak joint and heard anyone argueing that the price was too high for that steak.
    The ones that want cheap can find any one of the clowns riding around with a Murray in their station wagon.
    I target the steak eaters.;)
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Steak, fast food and cook at home. That's a wonderful analogy. Mind if I use that one? I believe it will catch on here too.
  8. There are two types of customers, those who want you to mow to keep their lawn from looking too bad, and those that want you to mow to keep their lawn looking good. If you’re needing work, you take what you can get. Over time, you’ll weed the bad accounts out, one way or the other.

Even with the good accounts, customer's circumstances change, so you always have to be on the hunt. Don’t let yourself get too fond of any customer or account. They come your way for a while (some longer than others) and then they go.

I can spot many “good” customers from the curb by looking at the whole picture, but not always. It’s much easier to spot the “bad” ones. I don’t have to even see this account to know this one would have been Trouble. Trouble with a capital T, and that rhymes with C, and that stands for CHEAP!!!
  9. Something else, I operate in your region, maybe even next door to some of your accounts. Some of the neighborhoods have cheap sections, where some clown drags his “rig” around charging the same $25 he’s been charging for the last 15 years (using the same beat-up junk he had 15 years ago). One block over, with the same size lots, people are paying $40-$45.

Idiots like that might have a few houses on the same street, but they're literally wearing themselves out. So if you run into those low-ball nests, just move over a street or two and bid for profit.

Decide what kind of service you’re going to offer (cheap or based on quality), and then hold out for the customers that are looking for your type of service. DO NOT lower your price standard based on a few or even a lot of customers that you wouldn’t be happy with anyway. Just ask the other LCO that hasn’t answered that cheapskate’s calls for three weeks.

It’s past the peak time to find great customers, but not too late. LCO’s drop the ball every so often, and you have to be in the game to recover that fumble. I have many good customers that are paying me more than their previous LCO. Sometimes you have to adjust your price, but you’ll NEVER find a “good” account by bidding low.
  10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You never know she may end up calling you. The women might end up going with the $40.00 bid and they end up dumping her so she calls you. Don't look at it as a waste of time but as a possible client (however slim that might be) down the road.