1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Didn't lowball, Didn't get any new accounts, i'm in a bad position

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Apr 11, 2005.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    This is my second year in business. I give bid on a ton of accounts only got one. lost 4 accounts from last year. picked up 2 accounts over the winter. Last year it was ok only have 22 accounts but this year being in the same position, i'm going to be in some trouble. I NEED WORK. I do quality work, have a professional appearance, nice looking truck and equiptment and am friendly with all my customers. I cannot survive on the amount of work that I have. Am I doing something wrong? How can I get some more lawn work fast?
    i looks like i will barly be cutting 3 days a week!

I have a few construction jobs, but after that i'm going to be in a hole.
    I bid everything i get very fair but i don't seem to get any accounts.

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

It's the low ballers. We all feel it.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Give it some time. The season is just starting. You will probably pick up some more accounts as the season goes along. Some of the areas of the country are just too saturated at this time. Lots of people out there willing to work for nothing too--at least until their equipment falls apart

4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Good advise Charles.The season is just getting going and things will pick up.Keep your head up and things will work out for you...

5. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

"I do quality work, have a professional appearance, nice looking truck and equiptment and am friendly with all my customers."

Just keep up the good work ethic and the referrals will come. I know that's hard to stay focused on when you're 20, but no matter what line of work a person is in, the inner drive is what carries us all forward to attain our goals. What are your goals by midsummer and what will you have to do to reach them?

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have been getting very few calls, but i land almost every call i get. i have about a 95% success rate. for a small fee, i'll do your quotes for you. i'll speak with clients, get a signed contract for you. salesmanship, separate yourself from the herd

7. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what i'm going to do. I really don't have the accounts to keep myslef busy. Got any last minute advertising ideas?

8. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Get some 18' x 24" plastic signs and put them out all over. You can get 50 1 side 1 color for under 150.00

http://www.ssgraphicsco.com/en-us/dept_197.html

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Please explain how you "separate yourself from the herd". Thanks.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

sir, i have a very likable personality in person (believe it or not), i make almost all of my sales, and i am great at upselling. it is extremely rare that a client calls for just mowing, and ends up with just mowing. king, i'm not joking, i will gladly help you out in person by dealing one on one with your prospects. if you have recieved that many calls, and have been striking out, something is very wrong. i will accept only commision on the ones that sign up.