Didn't plan for that

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 7, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have a customer that I have maintained their property for the last 4 years. They have very little fall clean up to do, and what leaves they do have normally only takes me about 30 mins. Well, this year has been a pain because of the wind.

His lawn is just covered with leaves, something that I didn't budget for. See he prepaid last year for 3 years, and this fall clean up is going to take me about 4 to 5 hours. No looking forward to it at all. It's just weird that all of the years his has nothing, except for this year. Go figure!!!
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I hear ya tiedman. Last year I quoted a few fall clean ups by the job and when we came back a week later there must have been every leaf in the neighborhood in his yard. After all was said and done I think I made just over $3.00/hour. Fall clean ups are completley done by the hour only.
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Same here...the last three days we have had more wind then I can remember doing fall clean-ups.Its like you get the yard clean drive by the next day and all of your work was done for nothing.
  4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

crackem over the head with a shovel like bobbyg would do!
  5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a good example of why I never bought into the pre-paid and set fee notions. There are just too many variables that can pop up like that, and they just can't be planned for. Interesting that you got someone to prepay for 3 full years, that sounds like a BobbyGedd feat to me!
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

After Saturday and Yesterday, I have to do everything from last week over again. I still see way too many leaves in the trees, even after the wind and rain.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

actually they approached me about pre-paying
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Only way to do leaves is by the hour. Other than that you are screwing yourself.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

The only way I see the leaves becoming that much of a problem all of a sudden is that maybe the owner would rake some himself and you never realized. Maybe he didn't do any raking this year. This is why all my work is based on hourly rate. Before you beat the guy with your "Customer be good stick" or shovel as it's also known:) , talk to him and see what happens.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

pre pay, is for a pre determined amount of work. when conditions cause you to exceed that amount, you add $$$$ to the bill.