Didnt take a client cuase i wont cut at 2"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by birddseedd, Apr 23, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

my 48 does not have an adjustable deck

2. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

They don't say it outright because they don't know the specific number, but I have had customers say things like it "looks like it still needs a haircut" when I cut at 3.5, which i take to mean they want it lower. And for every customer who says anything at all, there are probably 5 who are thinking it but never tell you, but then they hire somebody else without telling you why either. So, I make a point of asking the person in charge whether they like the way it was done. If they say anything other than it's exactly what they want, I do it over. 100% customer satisfaction is the goal always, and you have to ask. That's what I found.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

people don't know how many inches a mower cuts at. they think those numbers on residential mowers stand for inches which in most cases they don't. they say cut it at 2" they are talking about the number 2 spot on their residential mower.

i had one guy tell me he cut his lawn at 5".

i've been cutting it at 2" and he hasn't said a word about it being too short or anything.

4. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I cut a few at 5" in the spring growing. Only if I am behind though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

One guy told me his mower only cut at 3.5, so I looked at it, and it said 3.5 hp.

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I cut on "C", or "D".

Toro SR4. :D

I never bothered to look at the book to see what that equates to in "inches". I don't care - I just use the setting that works best for the lawn I'm cutting.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

in other words you just skip the yard that day. :laugh:

hmmm now there's an idea. i'll just not mow people's yards at all since they yards are about 5" before i cut them anyways. i'll say yeah i mowed it at 5". it will keep the grass from turning brown in the summer heat and help keep weeds out. i'm sure that would go over well.

:laugh:

8. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

That's basically how it was for me when I first started using the HRC216. Except for me it was: count the height adjustment notches. I suppose I could've just looked it up back then, but never bothered. At least my eXmark has the inches marked clearly on it, so that's been helpful.

9. Green Resistor

Green Resistor LawnSite Member
    from USA

The problem with 2 1/2 inches here is it would have to be mowed every other day, (often it gets it) in order to stay within the 1/3 rule. 2" is really no problem. You can go down to 7/8" with experience especially where equipment maintenence is concerned. It takes a balanced sharp blade to cut the thick stuff and technique. With an understanding customer and the right budget, it can be done. Keep the ball in your own court.

[​IMG]

10. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

How the heck can you guys cut so low? i'm scalping at 3"