1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Didn't think I would need it but here goes.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Varsity L&G, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I need help. I have taken the task of estimating a job I pretty sure have the job just can not go to high and can not go two low as to cut myself short on profit.

Roughly going to use about 80cubic yards of mulch, build 3 stacked rock walls about 1 to 2' high and about 6 to 10' long, 3 or 4 pallets of rock? Guy also wants about 200 foot of steel HD bed edging, plants to add color, 3 yrds of large river rock, and a new bed installed around a group of trees in the side lot.

Do not know how to price the walls and do not want to do everything by the hour. This could be a very good job for me to get and get done right. Just looking for a little advice on best way to attack this quote.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

How many and what size plants are you installing?Will the mulch be close or far away from where it goes on?Pallets of rock?
    For what application?,creekbed?,mulch?
    How big is the new bed your installing?Any removal?
    Need more info than this and picks or a plan of what you have to do woukd be nice too.
  3. Varsity L&G

I'll have more info once I finish measuring. Really need help on how to price the wall at this point. That is the first thing that needs to be done before anything else.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What kinda rock? dry stacked , mortared or you using a type of manifactured retaining wall. If its dry stacked time will be determined by the contour of the land and the shape of the wall and the type of rock.
  5. sheshovel

Ok so the pallets of rock are for the 3 2x10' drystacked walls?Also installing a flower or planting bed around tree's is not a good idea at all,you may want to inform your client that it can lead to the decline and death of the tree's.If I read you right.That is IF the bed is to be built upon their root zones.
  6. Varsity L&G

Yes, that is the Rock in question. They will be curved and used to level the beds where the land slightly drops
  7. sheshovel

I would charge about $7000.00 labor alone,This is without seeing what needs to be done and how many trees,plants ect.So that is a WAG .but I got 2950.00 for just applying the mulch and 2 yds river rock labor alone
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

A simple rule of thumb is 2.5x the cost ..... ie $5k of material .... cost of job is roughly $12.5k

The mulch alone could be blown in for $3200 .... this is total of material n truck to blow it in .... so I'd sub this one out with 15% added on ... fore making the phone call

Break the whole job down into sections n get a deposit before job starts n payments as a section is completed .....

Good Luck