Diesel 2 Bio/Veggie ZTR conversion

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by SpartanBill, May 21, 2008.

1. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

Does anybody have any experience or heard of someone converting a diesel powered ZTR mower to run off fryer oil or bio deisel (B20 or higher)? I'm hoping to have 2 in the field next year. Right now I'm planning on starting off with a used older model but it would be nice if it could convert a new one w/o voiding the warranty.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I seriously doubt you can do it without voiding the warranty. But I am curious as to how hard it is to get the old oil to the point of using it for fuel so if it would be great if you could post your progress.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

stop the presses, we are running free fuel, svo in the older trucks and tractors. and a hot water heater bio diesel plant for the rest of the "electric injectors" no problems so far, some filter issues and an old hose dissolved, freakin a , free fuel and a new hose or pay, what is now 8$...... no thats next week. we even grow algae for oil to use, as fuel and fish food.you can grow 30,000 gallons per acre per year!! try that with corn or palm oil!!

4. DeepGreenLawn

now I am definitely coming down to see you, I want to start my own and get my f250 off this fuel before it shuts my business down.

5. treegal1

we also make grass moon shine to run saws on, and have an electric scooter fleet that we run estimates on. walk the walk, if your into the green thing. do it all the way!!!

6. treegal1

oh almost forgot we get paid to remove the WVO, cash and food. it helps to know when they changed grease. its not a clean and neat thing, think ecoli and salmonella brew.

but with 2 trucks and 2 vans, 400$per day savings, we hired a grease man just to get it done, he makes 75$ for every 295 gallons of "good" oil. at 4$ per gallon thats 1100$ in fuel

7. DeepGreenLawn

so your coming out on top by about $1025 in savings? Do you know what your start up cost was?

8. treegal1

used pump; 25$
    USED WATER HEATER; 15$
    free fuel; priceless

9. DeepGreenLawn

how hard was it to find your fuel maker guy? did you train him or find him on the streets?

10. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

I haven't gotten into the heavy mental lifting yet but I took a little peek into it last year. I've seen systems involving chemical treatment(water heater?) and I've also heard of people running it thru a series of filters. The little bit of info I've caught is geared toward cars/trucks, they say late models are easier and you hafta to change out the fuel lines.

Bill