1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Blow By

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by poolboy, Nov 18, 2007.

1. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

First, I've never owned a diesel truck before. I'm currently looking at a 2000 f-450 with 115,000 miles. They're saying that it is showing some "blow by", what is this and how concern should I be?

2. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

it means that the truck is leaking oil and it doesnt drop on the ground but that when you drive it gets "blown" down the bottom of the truck, we had a similar problem with a rear main seal of the engine once.

3. poolboy

from earth

Is this a major issue? Does this mean that the rings need to be changed?

4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

lookin good have you ever worked on a diesel truck before?? blow by means the compression that should be in the combustion chamber is blowing by the rings and getting into the crankcase. the engine looses power and will not run to good. this happens when the tolerances between the rings and the cylinder walls have exceeded there tolerances. in short the engine is only going down hill from here so stay away unless you get a good deal.

5. P.Services

i hope this was a joke!!!!

6. P.Services

yes the rings need to be changed in order to repair this or you could continue to run the truck until it blows blue clouds of smoke because its burning so much oil. it could make it another 50,000 miles or another 500. you can do a in frame that means you repair this while the engine is in the truck by pulling the oil pan off and the heads. on the fords i believe your better off just to pull the engine and do it that way.

7. poolboy

from earth

Thanks for the info. This truck (sale price $7000) won't be doing any type of work for awhile and will not be doing that much driving after it's up and going. Anyway, I guess I'll call the local shop to see what type of work estimate I'll be looking at.

8. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Isn't that similar to a DRIVE BY?

A customer calls and you go to look at the job, when you get there you decide your not interested, so instead of stopping, you just DRIVE BY? :hammerhead:

We've had that happen once.....

Sounds like his mechanic can hear him coming...LOL

9. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

briandennis1470 is also correct, blow by can result internally, causing higher oil consumption and a mess of unnessary problems, for a diesel to have that problem it must have been pushed hard, we have trucks with over 500,000 miles and never had that problem. however, as far as my previous answer that is not wrong either, just a possible different problem, I have seen what I mentioned called "blow by" at the peterbilt dealer all the time, tends to be the most common problem on big trucks, they leak a lil oil and it "blows" over the undercarrage of the truck as you drive, but you rarely see oil spots on the ground.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

"Blow by" is when you pull up to a new customers house for an estimate. The grass is a foot and a half tall with toys and an old car on blocks in the yard. They want you to "gimme a price on how much you charge?"

At that point, you immediately mash the accelerator on your diesel, never stopping, and just "blow by".

You guys don't know nothing about diesels.

:laugh: