1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel computer chips

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mowtown Mike, May 19, 2006.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever put in a computer chip to enhance your diesel engine performance? Will it void the warranty? Thanks Mike

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

"most" will not void the warranty, but double check. look in the diesel power magazines for road tests. diesels respond better to chips than gas engines do.....way better. many are programmable to suit your needs. my friend has one in his 7.3 powered ford F250 super duty, with an ez-dumper, and dragging a 16 foot enclosed around. better mileage, more power, he loves it. www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com will get you a free catalog, they both have diesel performance sections.

3. PerennialSuccess

PerennialSuccess LawnSite Member

if you drive into your dealer and that chip is plugged into the computer port, good luck getting whatever is broken covered....(engine and trans wise). All most of these chips do is take away the limitations the factory sets in order to keep the truck from burning up transmissions and what not.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Diesel chips do more than just remove factory limitations, they also enrich the fuel to the engine, and increase the boost pressure from the turbocharger. Anyone familiar with turbochargers knows that just a few PSI increase can create HUGE gains.

I used to have a 4 cylinder gas engine putting out nearly 300 hp thanks to a turbocharger :)

That said, don't ever let your dealer know you chipped it.

5. funkigreasemonki

funkigreasemonki LawnSite Member
    from NY

Agreed, dealers+chips="not covered" I am a member on one of the diesel boards, and many of my friends there who have chips, do not have warranties. Granted, some of these guys are nuts with the power they are putting out, but be sure the warranty won't be voided before putting the chip on. That being said, they make an amazing difference over stock, even the "mild" chips will have very noticable difference. :cool2:

6. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

well, i stand corrected. i know a few guys with new diesel pickups that have fiddles with the computer, maybe they put stuff back to stock before going for warranty work.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The banks six gun tuner is well worht the money! It gives you a big boost on turbo psi, fuel economy and overall power. My buddy has one on an 97 ram 2500.
    When I get my diesel, a six gun tuner is going on it!!!

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ Same here. It is the best bang for the buck.:weightlifter:

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Check with your dealer to see if they'll sell you a reprogrammer. I know some Ford dealerships sell Superchips stuff. I even heard there is a Chevrolet dealer down in Columbia, SC that sells new trucks already modified if you'll pay the huge price difference. If they sell it to ya', they almost always will warranty it. But, GET IT IN WRITING.

10. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Depending on what truck you have (like, as if if you have a Cummins)
    You can get the latest and greatest programmer that swaps your ecm program, this way if and when you need warranty work you simply return the stock programming and the dealer is non the wise. It never leaves a "fingerprint" or anything. A little pricey, but from what I hear, worth EVERY LAST PENNY.
    The one I am talking about is the SMARTY it is made by a company called MAD Electronics.

Anything else is just considered a "chip" and pretty mch just alters the stock messages to and from the ecm so as to not trip overboost codes, etc.

See here for ANY diesel truck questions you may have:
    www.dieseltruckresource.com

(BTW) Banks stuff is way over rated and waaaaaaay overpriced/per horsepower.