Diesel Dixie, 72" Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duncan IN, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

Question for you Dixie Chopper Diesel Owners!?!

Here is my situation and question

I am looking to buy a new mower - 72", need one that will have ample power, and longevity. I currently own a Scag Turf Tiger 61", I know I don't want a 72" scag because you can not stripe with one. (My Opinon from what I have seen) I am currently looking at the Dixie chopper 72" Diesel. I would like to have the 41 horse but is the 26 ample? Is the bigger diesel worth the extra $$ and how much fuel does it consume over the 26 hp. Also about what price range should I be able to talk a dealer down to? I have heard they are around 15k. Has anybody heard much about the 26 hp gas EFI engine. Does it have the power to handle the 72" Deck?

I know I have asked alot of ?'s but any info to help me decide what to buy would be greatly appreciated

2. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Eric said in one of his post that his 26efi handles a 60" deck and a flex deck as good as the 26 diesel handles just a 60" deck. I think with the flex deck he's mowing 78", so the EFI must have alot more power than the 26 diesel.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I got a 26hp/72" Dixie to demo for a couple of days last spring. I used it in some pretty thick, tall grass and it seemed to have plenty of power for the 72" deck. THe 41hp engine seems like overkill to me. I ended up purchasing a Grasshopper 428D midmount machine. It has the 72" deck and a 28hp Kubota diesel. The Kubota is a LOT QUIETER than the Yanmar on the Dixie. You should check out the Grasshopper if you have a dealer nearby. Mine has done great this past season.:D

4. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

DIXIE CHOPPER does not build a 26hp 72" diesel anymore, they quit last fall! If you are looking at one it is an older machine.

5. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

The 26hp diesel 72" Dixie is not in the new 2002 cataloge

6. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

Well, since they don't make a 26 hp diesel anymore, that narrows my choice to either the 26hp efi gas engine or the 41hp diesel. I will be mowing alot of flat land I currently mow at least 30 acres and I am bidding on a school that has 15 acres.

My scag has a 27 hp Kaw Liquid Cooled engine and I noticed a few times last year it bogged down when mowing wet grass and tall grass. Seems like a 26hp efi with a 72 in deck would bog down at times.

How much does the 72" 41 hp diesel run? I have been unable to find out yet

7. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Down here in SW Missouri they are selling DIXIE XXWE5000 for $16,500.
    You might take a good look at a BLADERUNNER diesel!

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I called the DC factory in Nov. and was told the 26hp diesel was still avail. even though it was not shown on their website. I suggest you call the factory to get the latest info on that engine. Maybe they are just building them until they run out of engines in their warehouse.

9. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

The 60" Dixie with 26HP Yanmar is also not listed in their new catalog, but I have a new one on order. Check with your dealer rep or the factory. The XFD2600-60 that I used the past two seasons had plenty of power, a lot more than my previous Dixie with 25HP Kohler.

10. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

What about the suburban turb'n.
    Last I heard it had twin 20 HP engines but were going to twin 23 HP.
    Just another option.