1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Doesnt Start In The Cold Well

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by porter5, Nov 20, 2006.

1. porter5

porter5 LawnSite Member

Hey, Got A 200 Ford-f-35- 7.3 Deisel, Even Wehn I Plug It In It Doesnt Start On The 1st Try, Then On The Sencond It Lights Up, New Glow Pluggs???.....thats Wat I Think Any Suggestions Would Be Great, And How Much To Put New Glow Plugs In, Thanks!!!!!!!!
  2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

A buddy of mine had that in his 7.3 last year, I believe the module controlling the glow plugs was going bad on his truck.
  3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Glow plugs are located under the valve covers. I show 5.7 hrs labor to r/r all right and left glow plugs, with another .6 to diagnose system.
    In order to diagnose this system, you better know what yur doing, otherwise yur just hucking parts til you fix it. If any glow plugs are bad, a code will be set. Here's the therory of operation:

The intake manifold glows plugs are located in the cylinder heads, under the valve covers.
    The glow plugs are self-regulating. If the engine oil temperature is above 55°C (131°F) , the powertrain control module will bulb-check the WAIT TO START lamp but not energize the glow plug relay.
    The powertrain control module protects the glow plugs by energizing them for short durations if the battery voltage is abnormally high.
    The glow plug ON time varies from 0-120 seconds depending on battery voltage, engine oil temperature and barometric pressure.
    On California vehicles the glow plug monitor system is part of the On-Board Diagnostics II (OBD II) System.
    The Glow Plug Monitor (GPM) system is designed to find failed glow plugs or failed wiring in the glow plug system.
    The GPM system uses a low resistance shunt to conduct current to the left and right bank glow plugs.
    Three sensing wires measure the voltage drops across the shunt when the glow plugs are operating. A failure in the glow plug system will set a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) .
  4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm not sure if yours has a glow plug light on the dash but in extream cold you can cycle the plugs 2 or three times before you crank. turn the ket to the on position for about 5 seconds or until the light goes out. then turn the key off and cycle a second time then crank.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Of course, low compression could also make it harder to start in cold weather.
    I have bought and sold about 12 Powerstroke Fords in the last 4 years. All of them have had between 225,000 and 249,000 miles on them when I get them.
    I have noticed that the 96 and 97 trucks all started much easier in cold weather than the newer, 99 and 2001 trucks I have had. Even in warm weather, the older models start quicker. Ford must have changed something between 97 and 99 in those engines that has caused the newer engines totake longer to fire off.
  6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

The newer trucks have a "Wait to Start"light. If you have to cycle the key 2 or 3 times to start, especially after its been plugged in, then there's a problem.
  7. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

best thing to do is get it to a shop that is good on power strokes and let them figure it out more than likely it will be the glow plug rely or control module good luck hope that it does not cost too much to fix , Seems ever time a mech opens the hood on our 95 F350 it is always at least a hundred dollars
  8. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

My 95 Powerstroke had the same problem. It is usually only one of two things, the glow plugs or the glow plug relay switch... The switch will usually be the culprit. Whatever you do if you have a few bad glow plugs - replace all eight of them - do not just replace the bad ones.
  9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard that cranking the engine before the wait light goes out will burn up glow plugs in any prechamber engine.