1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Engine Life - Walker

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fbcoop, Jun 16, 2004.

1. fbcoop

fbcoop LawnSite Member

I am looking to add a second Walker to the fleet. A 1998 Diesel with 42 inch deck. 3800 hours has me a little concerned. The question is the life expectancy of the Diesel. I won't see the unit until Saturday so I don't know the make of the engine but is there anything special I should be looking for? Is $3,000 a fair price. Owner claims full maintenance etc.

2. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

That,s like marrying a 100yr old woman with cancer. Save yourself the headaches there are alot of things that could go! Spindles, springs, hydros the list goes on forever.
  3. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Walker uses a kubota engine on their diesel models. It is a good engine and shoule be good for quite a few more hours if it had been taken care of. I think that other things will go out before the engine does.
  4. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I bought a 93 Kubota Walker about 8 years ago(with about 1900 hrs) for $2,750. It will hit 6,000 hrs later this season.
    (Typical smoke for its age BUT still mows like a TANK)

I REGULARLY go over my kubota for upkeep and fluid changes to get it this far though! Only regular problem (besides normal wear & tear items) I've ever had with it was the ignition not sparking from moisture under the cap.

Price and purchase would all depend on the so-called
    "full maintenance" PROOF and a visual inspection.

Good Luck,
  5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Yup... gotta watch out for diesel ignition problems... especially that pesky moisture under the dist. cap.. hate it when that happens!
  6. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

7. shopbytch

shopbytch LawnSite Member

If the engine goes(6000-8000hrs), that walker is worth more for parts. You can get a diesel mechanic to do a compression test. If it was commercially used, alot of things would have already been replaced but lighter use might mean that it's time to fix a bunch of things. Offer $2000.