Diesel Engine Longivity

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tjsquickcuts, Aug 9, 2006.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I need to upgrade my truck, business is booming, and have had to wheel barrow:weightlifter: tooooooo much dirt, rocks, and pavers because I can't tow the weight of a bobcat to make the job easier and quicker. I have been looking into a few pre-owned 2500 and 3500 Diesel trucks, and saw a Ford F-350 with 72,000 miles and they want $26,000 before I work my magic and talkem down some. I also looked at a Chevy 3500, 4X4 RED, Nice with 112,000 miles and they want $22,000. Should I keep looking and jump on one of these trucks...also the ford is loaded, SunRoof, lther, etc....with the matching camper thats custom and mold right in with the truck. I need some help and advice.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The 6.0L PowerStroke has been rated a service life of 250,000 miles by International. Of course, this is not a warranty but an estimate of the engine's life span when properly maintained before a major overhaul. In other words, most diesels when well maintained will outlast most other parts of the truck (transmission, etc.).:)

3. cgrappler135

cgrappler135 LawnSite Member

I am selling a 2001 ford f350 3-4 yd dump with only 41000 mile, 4x4, plow, etc for only $17,500 obo

4. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

You're gonna get many opinions on this.

Engine longevity depends on many things including how it is driven, idled, maintained, and treated. Buying used is a crapshoot many times.

Engine wise...they're are all at least OK. The older Ford 7.3 pre-2003.5 were good engines. The newer 6.0 PSD has been very problematic. Many problems have been fixed for 2005+, but visiting thedieselstop still reveals many problems. The Duramax had some injector problems for 2001-2002, and some problems with overheating exists in some. The Cummins has remained pretty much the same for 15 years except for some slight changes. It is also the only engine of the three rated medium duty by the EPA. It's average overhaul life is a minimum 300k miles.

I don't own any of them, but plan on buying one this winter. If buying new, buy before the new EPA restrictions go into effect for the 2007 model year. When I buy, I'm only looking at a Dodge or GM for new, and used would be GM 2003+, Dodge, or Ford pre 2003.5/7.3 PSD.

Also remember each have their own problems otherwise. Ford and Dodge transmissions are pretty crappy until the 2003 model year for both. The new Dodge 48re has been much better, has been the Ford Torqueshift. The GM Allison has the lead right now.

Good luck. Visit sites for all, there are MANY out there.

5. Post Mowing

Post Mowing LawnSite Member

If you want a good truck the oney way to go is with a stick shift. The Kills the GM but i konw the 6 speed ford with the 7.3 PSD will last.

6. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

That sounds like a lot of money for a truck with that kind of mileage, even if it is a diesel. Sometimes it is better to wait because if you jump on the first thing you see something better will come along and you will kick yourself later. Go to nada.com and look up the values of the trucks, it will help. Just my .02:)

7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that a diesel will last long, but with propper care, i've seen gas engines with 250,000 miles on them and stil kicking.

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i know its not the same size but of all the diesels in pick up trucks whats the one that is also in a lot of over the road trucks...CUMMINS. so go buy a dodge and youll have no problems with power, longevity, and fuel mileage

9. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have a 99 Powerstroke 6 spd with 315K and it still runs and pulls like new. Great truck.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

As a sideline business, I buy and resell Powerstroke Ford pickups during the fall and winter months. I buy from a fleet, and all the trucks have over 225,000 miles on them when I get them. I am friends with many of the folks I sell them to, and some of those trucks now have over 300,000 miles on them. They are still running great. All are the pre 2003 Powerstrokes. I will not be buying any of those 6.0 dogs. Too much risk involved with those engines.