1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Engine Push Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GaryFenza, Dec 2, 2006.

1. GaryFenza

GaryFenza LawnSite Member

Is there a such thing as a Diesel Engine push mower, cause that would be really cool. I love small engines and to fix them and stuff i would be the first one to buy a Diesel Push Mower Engine if it came out. ANyone ever heard of something like that or have one for that matter??
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Never heard of any. I imagine it would be a bit heavier than the traditional gas model.:confused:
  3. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i dont want to be pushing a heavy mower with black smoke blowing in my face!
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

It would be heavy, expensive, smelly, and would probably not run smoothly, lots of vibrations from a single cylinder diesel
  5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would hate to have to push one of those around. it would have to come with Hydros on it
  6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

mabey a diesel 48 or 60 wb, not a 21 (overkill).
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

They make smaller diesels for wb mowers in europe. I think we will begin to see some of those here soon. On a 21", though, can you say "RUT"?
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like a niche market for somebody!!!
    Seriously though, all the objections posted are valid. Sometimes there's a reason something doesn't exist.
  9. hsus2k

hsus2k LawnSite Member
    from GA

There are few small diesel engines are avilible for push mower!
    Some, you'll have to modify, because most of them have horizontal shafts! (they are mostly used for small portable generators or trsh(water) pumps)
    Like the The small Briggs & Stratton, Robin, Yanmar, Kubota or Hatz.

Here is one from Hatz, I believe it has vertical shaft? They are more expensive than gasoline motors, not sure how heavy they are?

Currently, I'm looking at this muti-fueled engine (yes, it will run on Diesel, Kerosen, and even gasoline!)

I have already converted both my (turbo Diesel) vehicles: 03 VW Golf TDI and 2000 Ford PSD F250 to run on WVO-(Waste Vegetable Oil), and my TDI still gets 40+ mpg with modified engine (up to 128 Hp/227 Ft-# torque @ the wheels - Stock at 90Hp/155 ft-# @ the Crank used to get 53 mpg!):cool2:
  10. hsus2k

hsus2k LawnSite Member
    from GA

BTW, How often do you mow the lawn?
    I just don't see the trouble to use a diesel powered motor, even running on bio-fuel or Vegetable Oil.

For my own house, I have battery powered mower and trimmer, they both cut just fine! And much easy to breath the air without any exhaust for all your GREENERS out there. I also have two chargers for botht eh mower and the trimmer to make quick change of the battery when it gets weak.
    I also have 80W solar panel chargers ready to (modify to convert to different voltages) to charge all my battery powered tools. Now that's "Free energy" from the sun (not including the cost of the panels and parts of course, only a initial one time cost!)

And I'm about to purchase a older design Lister Diesel engine to power my house to go off grid soon! (on Waste Vegetable Oil)