Diesel Engines Worth It?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Mar 12, 2008.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Have the guys that have put a good many hours on diesels found them to be a good investment or a soso investment? Is the consumption really spectacular as claimed? Are there extra maintainance costs? Is this the engine of the future?

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have never ever had a problem with any kubota diesel of any kind and put anywhere from 100-2800 hrs on them before upgrading to new. they get good fuel eco i think. i get 1.5 or so for gal/hr. depends on the cutting conditions. if really heavy grass of course you use more, but in summer the tanks last for forever.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run Yanmar's in my JD's - Japanese like the Kubota - I sold my 1988 332 with a 16hp diesel with over 5000 hrs on it about 6 years ago, and it is still purrrrring today. Never used oil, still doesn't. Only maintainance was change oil every 150 hrs, and clean air filters, and at 3000 hrs I put in new injectors and glow plugs. Diesels burn about 1/2 the fuel, have twice the lugging power, and are just too simple and reliable to use anything else.

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Are they more quiet?

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

If your going to keep one a long time yes, but it may out last the ZTR.

6. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Many moons ago we used to buy F series Kubotas and would put 2-3000 hrs on them. Never a motor problem but after 2k hrs the decks were shot. 15 yrs ago we were paying 13-14k for them. Now a Z with a gas motor is 8-9k will cut just as much and they go to 2-2500 hrs brfore you need to dump them and they still have a thrid of thier original value.

7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have debated this issue as well. I look at this way. I am running 5 z's. All are gas. I am either trading or selling out right around the 1200-1500 hour mark. Still have value and were looking at a 3 year period turn around. Now I have a toro front mount mower which is diesel - no going back. Long grass, wet grass, mows circles around the Z's which are all 23 Kawa engines. But for me to justify a diesel Z - i would need to keep them 3500 - 5000 hours. At that point I am afraid that the mower will be shot but the engine will be running strong. Toss up I guess - you have to know your trade in value, length of time of ownership, etc. Our skid, tractors, trucks and now pickups i am going to diesel though.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

9. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i have a kubota diesel. the ease of use is worth the extra $1500.

these things need no adjusting no cleaning the carb no valve anything. in the winter you simply just shut them off and you know you won't have any problems with them starting in the spring.

i think companies should offer more diesel models. they just need to get the weight down. hustler has a new z diesel mid mount that looks quite nice.

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

the ease of use is worth the extra $1500.

I don't know for some the extra $1500 is not going to be worth nor maybe can't afford that extra $1500 for diesel. Now I bought a new D-max a month ago and spent the extra - I could afford it, I thought this would be the route to go down the road but a 50K truck is a little different than a 8K mower.

In regards to carb problems, winter storage etc. After all these years, I have never had a problem. Only probelm I run into is the handheld stuff - they are pretty fine tune little engines.