Diesel engines

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GTLC, Oct 31, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

i have searched for other posts on this topic but I cannot seem to find any on this topic. I was wondering what the advantages of diesel engines on a truck are.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

After owning 4 of them since 96 I'm wondering the same thing myself?
  3. Tx Firefighter

Tx Firefighter LawnSite Member

The minimum mileage I have ever gotten pulling my loaded trailer is 18 mpg. Unloaded, I touch 21 mpg occasionally, 20 constantly. Also, with the trailer in tow, I can out accelerate any gas truck and trailer I've ever come across.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

18 on the highway 1 time, otherwise 12-14 mpg,all the power I ever needed but I can get that with gas. maintenence is expensive, cost is extra $$$ Only good point I can think of is they run forever.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Huh? there are no plugs, wires, distributor to maintain. The only basic maint. is oil changes, other than that, injectors and pumps are comparable to maintain on either gas or diesel. My diesels consistently cost less to maintain than any gas engines I've ever used. And in some parts of the country, fuel is often cheaper than gasoline.
  6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto on what grassmechanic wrote. We primarly run mostly diesel learned OVER the years they save us tremendous amount of money! If your a local jumper and dont put more then say 15,000 miles a year and trade or sell 2 years get gas but we put over 30k on each truck pictured, haul skidsteers, sanders and plows in winter (together loaded) sander and plow weight is around plus and gassers dont dont do as well as the diesels. Thats why you dont see big rigs running gas engines NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE! better mpg we get 5-8mpg over our gas jobs, hands down out pulls our 454 and 460 big blocks and even the V10's. But like I siad if you just puddle jump by the gasser and save some up front cash. We pay 12cents less for diesel with that and 8mpg better save thousands of dollers yearly.
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Upsides: better fuel economy, longer life, better resale value
    Downsides: more expensive to buy, noisy & smelly (of course most diesel owners love the noise and smell - I know I do!)

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup Randy thats why I straight piped mine. :D:D

But now I'm tired of the noise :angel: :angel:
  10. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

thats why you just crank up the tunes a little louder Brickman ;)
    Another plus:) you get a 4 year 100k warranty on them from the factory