Diesel Exhaust

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Smalltimer1, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to make my new F-250 a little more like me (loud and proud!). The old F-250 gasser had glasspacks, but IIRC GP's won't work on a diesel very well.

I'm thinking about an MBRP kit for later on, but right now I'm debating on having the muffler cut out and putting a "test pipe" in its place until I can swing the kit. This mod is commonly called the "muffler delete".

I've heard it will cost anywhere from $30-$50 depending on where I go.

Does anyone know what it will sound like compared to a kit or stock?

I've asked on The Diesel Stop, but I'm wanting some unbiased opinions.

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

I have a 99 psd with 4 inch exhaust all the way from th turbo back. i still have the muffler. i cant really tell that much diffrence in sound. but i havenoticed a pick up on top end and the egt's wont get as high anymore. although without the muffler it sounds great. i have heard several around town that dont have the muffler and i like it. i just dont need allthat niose. but if you going to mod the exhaust i would get the 4 inch downpipe and go 4 inch all the way back. it will help you out bigtime. the turbo's life hinges on heat and the 4 inch pipes will reduce that bigtime.

3. Smalltimer1

Yeah I was just thinking of running muffler-free until I get the required $600 for the MBRP kit I would like to get.

4. Guthrie&Co

from nc

i would look up itp. inovative truck pruducts. i got my downpipe from them for about 140. just the downpipe

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Lose the muffler. If you can weld and have a chop saw it's not hard to make your own exhaust. There is no way in he$$ I would pay $600 for an exhaust system for a truck.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

My friend's cummins has 4 inch without any muffler or cat. From a distance, he sounds like a approaching dumptruck.

7. Smalltimer1

I don't think it will pass inspection if I take out the cat.

8. Guthrie&Co

from nc

deisels dont have cats. its nothing more than another sound bafffle. and a diesel donesnt have the same emission tests as gasser does. in the state of nc we dont have to run mufflers on diesels.

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Mine has a cat. Some of the 99-03 Superduties have cats also. I wonder how Ford decided some should have cats and some don't?

10. Guthrie&Co

from nc

then how does the cat work on a diesel scince it doesnt run on gas?