1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Exmarks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason_S, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

I was wondering how good the diesel exmarks are? Have they been more reliable than gas for those who have them? Are they worth the extra $$$?

I am looking into mowing on the side when I am done playing foreman for the LCO I work for.... I LOVE mowing and would eventually like to make it my own gig.

In the meantime, the mower can help me pay bills quicker.....and hopefully make enough breathing room to purchase a good truck.

I didn't use the search, but I've been catching up on lost time here for the past few hours. (lots of lost time on lawnsite)
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have been told straight from the dealer's service department... and I quote.. "get one with the gas engine"

That's all I know about 'em.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They're big, heavy pigs...loud, too. Test one of those, and jump off of it and onto a 25 or fuel injected, and it will feel like you're on a Ferrari of mowers. So much more precise and responsive. You slow down much quicker coming up to the ends of rows without tearing grass up, and you accelerate much quicker coming out og the hole. It's just a much more crisp feel to the gas ones. Also, you don't have that nightmare mule belt set-up to deal with.
  4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

thay got the duel mule set-up fixed
  5. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

The only bad thing I can say about mine is how heavy it is. It will leave bad ruts on wet spring lawns. Tons of power though. If your just want a 60" cut go with the 27hp kohler or the kawi. IMO
  6. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

Yea, all I would want is a 60".....the 72 wouldn't be as versatile IMHO
  7. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i have sold a few and have no complaints
  8. SLC1234

SLC1234 LawnSite Member

We run two of the diesel exmarks, one 72" and one 60". They are great, good on fuel and have been reliable. So far we have been happy with them. No complaints. Just my two cents.

9. Toro's now putting that diesel engine on their 500 series Z's now in addition to their Exmark line. On the Toro version the wheels are larger, but I don't know if it's enough to compensate for the added 400 or so extra pounds.

If I were contemplating a diesel Z I'd consider the Toro over the Exmark version to get that super tough deck. It would be a ZTR that'd really last.