diesel experts... need help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bruno_rs, May 17, 2008.

1. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey guys, my ransome t22dv 3 cyl mistubishi diesel (front deck) mower has been sitting (not run/started) for a couple years. obviously, the fuel "turned" and will not start. beside the obvious (drain fuel tank and change out the filters), what should i do to properly restart the engine? it's a great machine and i don't want to damage it. i'm not that knowledgeable re. diesel, therefore i figured you experts could help me out. looking forward to your replies. have a good one.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Did you bleed all the air from the fuel system after you drain the fuel and changed the filters? Diesel engines hate air in the fuel lines.

3. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey fixer, thanks for the reply. no, i haven't drained it and/or changed out the filters yet... figured i'd ask first. when you say bleed the air from the system, is it best to crack open the injectors and crank the engine or is there another way? what about turned fuel in the injector pump and/or elsewhere?

4. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Drain tank and lines. fill with fresh fuel. Make sure your lines are bled good and your glow plugs work. Use a hair dryer to blow hot air in the air cleaner hose.

5. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey royal, thanks for the reply. what is the best way to bleed the system? what's up with blowing hot air in the air cleaner hose?

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

"Cracking the lines" or "bleeding injectors" refers to loosening the fuel lines at the injector (the line to the cylinder head, from the injection pump. Don't loosen the actual injector). Open it just enought that fuel comes out (keep your paws away from it, it's coming at pretty high pressure). Do the injector furthest from the injection pump first (where all the fuel lines originate). As far as the fuel that's actually in the pump, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Diesel fuel is a wonderful solvent. Fill it with fresh fuel, crack the lines until you have fuel at each injector. The hair dryer is a trick that I hadn't heard of before, but it couldn't hurt because diesels operate on extremely high cylinder temperatures. On an engine that hasn't run in a while, anything to introduce heat into the engine is a help. DO NOT shoot ether into the thing until you figure out if you have glow plugs or a grid heater. A grid heater will be located in the intake manifold, causing much excitement when the ether hits it. A little is ok if you have glow plugs, but be cautious with it, you can hurt then engine pretty easily. I would have a few fuel filters in the tool box if it hasn't run in a few years, all that crap will get loosened up and wind up in the filters.

7. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey james, thanks for the post... very informative. i knew i could count on you experts for getting (the right) answers, quick. thanks guys. hope all is well. have a good one.

8. bojodunk

bojodunk LawnSite Member

What makes you think fuel oil goes bad over time like gas
    i have a kabota diesel that sits a lot sometimes i only start it once a year
    i never hade a problem with the fuel

9. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel dosen't break down as fast as gas but if you've got an engine that won't start that's been sitting that long the fresh fuel will give it a much better chance. The hair dryer or heat gun will get that air good and hot. Do it before you turn the engine over for ten or so seconds and while your cranking it. Also, make sure your starter is cranking it like it should.

10. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey guys, thanks for the replies... i do realize diesel will not go bad as quick as gasoline but it didn't smell quite right and assumed it turned. it's been at least a couple (if not 3 years) since it was run last. do you all think i can get away with just adding fuel and making certain their is no air in the system? it does have glow plugs but they were not working very well the last time it was running... can i spritz it with starting fluid to help start it? thanks, looking forward to your response. have a good one.