Diesel Fuel Alternatives - BioDiesel B20 Fuel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TPLawnPro, Apr 4, 2007.

1. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure about the rest of you that own diesel powered trucks and machinery, but I have had it with the ridiculously over-inflated cost of diesel fuel! :hammerhead: The price for a gallon of diesel fuel here in South Louisiana is averaging around $2.83 per gallon.

I am now to the point that I am seeking alternatives to petroleum-based diesel fuel. Upon further research, I was amazed at how many legitimate BioDiesel fueling stations that there are popping up all over the country - that is, they are in some parts of the country more so than others.

I guess my question is this. Do any of you diesel truck owners use alternative diesel fuels such as B20 Bio Diesel? If so, how much does it typically cost per gallon as compared to the outrageous price of petroleum-based diesel?

*trucewhiteflag*

2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

the only times I've seen biodiesel blends, its been more expensive than the petroleum product

3. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Everytime I have purchased B20 it has been more expensive than 100% dino diesel.

4. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

You can make bio diesel from used restaurant oil (about 70 cents cheaper without counting your time) or even use the the oil directly in your vehicle (not as easy as it sounds). But, when you factor in your time, expense, and risk of damage to your engine, Diesel would have to go to $10 dollars per gallon to be worth it.

I have a friend that runs his motor home - er - old bus on straight used restaurant oil. However, he is retired with a pension, and has a lot of time on his hands. Also, recently he blew the motor on it. He swears up and down it was not a result of the grease, but, I don't buy it. The money he saved on the home made diesel, he spend ten fold on a new engine.

Don't listen to the hype. When you run the numbers. It does not compute.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I just paid $2.98 for B20.....

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i am looking forward to seeing more biodiesel available. don't have the time to distill it myself. have heard nothing but good from friends that run it. the lubricity factor should help with the new lower sulpher diesel.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

problem with bio is it has been know to foul engines...theres a real good article in "Diesel Power Magazine" on bio-diesel vs. you warranty. I've run it once in our Jeep Liberty and the performance is the same and the one time i ran it (about 3 months ago) the price was comparable to reg. diesel...i imagine as more fueling stations pop up the price will drop but the price of corn and beans keep rising so thats not helping either...its funny, i'm actually just beginning a research paper on bio-diesel and ethanol blended fuels...i'll have to let you know what i find as far as prices go when i get to that part of my research.

8. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :waving:

I look forward to the results from your research Dirt Digger 2.

9. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I run B20 Soy Biodiesel a lot and it makes my truck run better. I have heard it lubricates better than dino diesel. The cost is the same as regular diesel.
    It will take a while for the Biodiesel field to really take off for prices to come down much.
    BTW, I have a Dodge Ram with the Cummins.

10. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

They seem to be building one after another of biodiesel and ethanol plants around this area so it must be catching on. One guy just finished one plant and is starting another one just to keep up.