diesel fuel transfer tank for truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by supercuts, Jan 18, 2008.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im debating back and forth about buying a 275gal fuel tank with an electric pump and have my road diesel delivered to my house. i have 3 diesels and im tired of waiting at the gas station to get into the diesel pump which is located in the middle of 2 gas pumps and of course its always blocked. its even worse when its going to snow, i have to take both trucks downtown to fill them up for plowing.

so, i was going to get a 275 gal tank and put it in the garage to fill the trucks. right now diesel fuel is about 5 cents cheaper delivered to my house than at the gas station. im not too concerned with saving a few cents a gallon as much as the time wasted and the hassle of keeping the trucks full and planning my day around that. this is really just for the convenience.

brand new tank about $300, brand new pump/hoses/nozzle about $400, ebay pumps about $200ish. anyone else have a setup like this?? any thoughts or anything im forgetting??

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hold on did you say garage:drinkup:

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

don't put it in your garage...i believe it has to be in a "secure site"...im not sure if this is true for the smaller tanks but we have two 750 gallon tanks that are in a concrete box incase they leak.

but i think you should...even if you are paying a little extra money for the fuel which you wont be...you are still saving money by not paying your guys to sit in line at the gas station

4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Your Department of Natural Resources might have something to say about that, I'm pretty sure some kind of spill containment set up will be required. Would you go through the whole 275 gallons in about a month? Diesel fuel doesn't like being left sitting for long periods.

5. supercuts

ok, to start it would be a home heating fuel tank (275 gal), the same tank id be using if i had oil heat in my garage. if it was outside i think then i would need the cement containment. as far as going through all of it, i dont ahve to fill it, i can get 150 gallons. i would go through that within a month.

6. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

A few of my friends have their own oil company's and deliver to landscapers. They gave the landscapers the tank for free as long as they buy their diesel thru them.

7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a 350 for offroad diesel and it was one of the greatest things i bought... as soon as i buy a new piece of property i'd probably get like a 1000 for the trucks.. liek u said the time u save from having guys bs at the gas station is the huge savings... plus its a lil easier on bookkeeping to pay once a month for fuel rather than 5 different trucks every week...

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I have two at my shop for that very reason. I don't like paying for the guys cigarettes and coffee when they pay for their fuel. They fill up at the shop in the morning or night, its cheaper and I rent the tanks for 9 dollars a month. Ministry has a say on where they are located. Not within 50 metres of ditches something like that.

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with your state and local fire inspector first.
    Wouldn't be legal most places as it is a fire hazard. Indoors requires a fire rated tank sometimes. You also would have to have a containment area inside equal to the tank volume. Outdoors you either have to have a containment area that is roofed but open sided or a double wall tank if exposed. http://www.convault.com/ if you want one contained in concrete. These stop bullets also. :D

10. supercuts

again, this is home heating fuel, dyed a different color, in a home fuel tank. i deliver home fuel oil, they are commonly outside, free standing, as well as in garages and basements, no containment tank. im not too worried about that aspect.