Diesel issue

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lynden-Jeff, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I have an issue with my 6.0L. So far its nothing other then sounds but id like to resolve it. "Some times" the loud diesel noise (normal 6.0 L clunking/idle noise) from the engine will taper off and go quiet for a couple seconds and it will either stay this way until the gas is pressed OR shake a little and then return to the normal noise and then taper off again. The idle does not budget at all from 650. If ANYONE has any idea what this could be any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

no problem just diesel might not be up to par. other wise nothin to worry about.

3. Lynden-Jeff

The diesel fuel you mean?

4. amanda8950

amanda8950 LawnSite Member

My '07 6.0 will do that but only when it is in the tow/haul mode and I have just let off the gas ( when hauling ). It picks right back up when you get back in the gas. Does yours do it when hualing or regular driving ?

5. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

It does it in both, mainly not tow haul. I woulden't be surprised if its bad gas. It also only does it every now and then and some times if I shut off the truck and turn it back on a few times it will not happen again. Its weird.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

If it does this while moving then it is fine. The accelerator pedal goes to the CPU which tells the injectors how much fuel to put in the engine. If you are coasting down and lift off the pedal, it takes no fuel to keep the engine spinning. so there's not much going on in the engine at that point combustion-wise, basically just pumping air in and out. This makes it quiet. My PSD does this, and older PSDs I've driven do this; any modern diesel should get quiet when coasting down gently if the computer brain is smart enough to do it. I'm sure this helps on fuel economy by not burning fuel when no power is needed.

If it's doing this while sitting still then you've got me stumped.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I can't remember if the 04 needed the 06E17 reflash which makes the engine cycle the turbo at idle which helps prevent turbo vain sticking. If the truck has the current reflash then that is what you are hearing.

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. That's some good obscure knowledge. Does the '03 6.0 liter need that?

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

his shoulve already had that flash done...that was from a very long time ago. yes the 03's had it to.

10. Lynden-Jeff

So if it does have the reflash then this is what im hearing? It does do it standing still, however I know what you are talking about when costing and this is differen't. A guy on another forum said my Torque convert could be going, but I dont understand how that would affect the sound of the engine.

It only does this some times, not all the time, and it usually either starts half way through a trip or from the second I turn the key. Not always will it happen when I turn it on and some times I can go several hundred KM's without it happening. I will see if I can get a sound clip.

Cheers
    Jeff