Diesel-Liquid cooled--Efi?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daniels, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Daniels

Daniels LawnSite Member

I am looking for the perfect machine would you go with a diesel or a liquid cooled or a Efi machine ---?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Depends what it will be used for. EFI is what I would get for my next mower but I am not sure what you mean by perfect machine...

3. Daniels

Daniels LawnSite Member

Dang it hit post to fast---
    We have a number of large properties now 5 + acres I am trying to decide if Diesel is worth the extra cash--or one of the other options RIght now we are using Super Z's with 24 hp Honda's and am trying to get opinions on new equipment..

4. diesel...I'd have a diesel WB if they made one.
    From the choices you're picking from it looks like you're shopping ZTR's.
    My #1 choice of ZTR's would be Toro's Z Master 593-D with the Kubota diesel.

5. Daniels

Daniels LawnSite Member

I probably should have composed my question better--Looking a Ztr's
    Toro's
    Kubotas
    Hustlers
    and looking for any other suggestions

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The main problem with the large frame diesel mowers is weight. These things weight close to 2000lbs when loaded with fuel, operator, etc. All of that weight is bound to rutt out properties like no other unless it is all wide area mowing where you can cut a different direction EVERY time for like 8 cuts. Weight plus the fact that diesel is overkill unless all the properties you mow are constantly overgrown, etc.

EFI is the best choice IMO. They are good on gas, require no choking on cold start and have a great response to loads. Never have to hear the engine straining and chugging through dense growth.

Liquid cooled is overrated to me anyway. With a liquid cooled mower you now have a radiator blocking what could have been easy access to the engine for servicing and maintenance. The engines run alittle cooler but you have to constantly check coolant levels and clean off the radiator screens.

An air cooled EFI engine will last just as long as its liquid cooled counterpart. Of course a diesel will outlast them all but you will be replacing virtually everthing else on the mower by the time the engine gives out.

5 acres for some 24hp super Z's huh? What size are the decks, 52? Definately look into a 60'' deck for large properties like that, even a 72'' deck if they are wide open with level terrain (no bumps).

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Any engine other than a 24 Honda will blow you away!

They are a DOG!

8. Daniels

Daniels LawnSite Member

We do run 60 in deck's I hadn't considered the total weight/rutting issue----(hence the reason for the post) the 24's are not the master of all they survey but they have been great so far ---we don't deal with over grown issues cept the first cut of the year and that is usually our fault for waiting to long....

9. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

i would go EFI, most diesels on the mowers nowadays are very good engines (exmark kubota) ferris(caterpillar) etc. they will last longer than the useable life of the mower, I heard the kubota on the exmark is rated for 4500 hours for a major service, how many mowers do you see with that many hours?
    for the extra 2000 for a diesel iwould rather go efi and mower last 3000 hours and get rid of it and buy a new one instead of puttinf 500 amonth in repairs of a 4000 hour old mower, just my opinion

10. That only has any truth on sand. I'm a winter time Florida resident so I have some idea of what you're dealing with. On real soil it's not a problem.
    After all ALL of the equipment I have was designed for and operated on golf courses. Don't you think they'd be sensitive to rutting? My 16' 580-D weighs 6,600# and it don't rut the lawns. It has bigger tires. It'll mow over ground too soft to walk across.

It sounds to me like Daniels has outgrown the ZTR market anyway. With "several" 5 acre + lawns it sounds like you'll need a larger mower than even a 72." In any case definitely diesel. With diesel you get 2 out of three advantages. Diesel power and liquid cooled. Now if you were to get one of the new electronically controlled diesels it would be a clean sweep.
    Diesel/LC/EFI all in one.