Diesel Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kingenterprises, Aug 20, 2004.

1. kingenterprises

kingenterprises LawnSite Member

Here we go. I have info overload on Zero Turn mowers and will beat a dead horse here by starting another thread.

INTRO: I run a tractor business and have about every implement you can put on a 4wd 55 horse midsize tractor. Have many clients asking for lawn / landscape / yard mowing services. Looking at zero turn mower to fill the gaps. I'm tired of turning these customers onto other operators for yard mowing and Landscape services

Originally intended to spend only around 4K but It doesn't look good for my prospects at that price. I only want to do this one time and want best mower for the value.

Demo'd Hustler Z 60inch = 7-8K depending on condiments
    Skag turf tiger 61inch = 8-9K Dep on Condiments
    Yazoo Max 2 61inch = 6K for a demo 25 hrs on meter

Tractor and Truck are both Diesel. I wonder if anyone is making a reasonable priced Diesel ZTR. It would be so much easier to only have to buy diesel.

I'd appreciate your feedback and again sorry to beat a dead horse with this thread. I have not looked at walk behind mowers but I suppose it could be an option. FYI, I do not have to get this done before next mowing season.

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

check out Exmark ( http://www.exmark.com ) they make a diesel mower ZTR i have seen alot of guys using them so they must be decent i have heard good things about them but nothing other than the usual chat.

3. zpoore

zpoore LawnSite Member

does anyone know how much the exmark diesel is?

4. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

I know Dixie Chopper has a really nice one but very high priced starts somewhere around 10k but its a very nice mower think its 50hp think their is also a 46hp i know they are 72"

5. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I can't see justifying the price of a diesel mower. Seems to me you'd simply have a machine where the engine outlasts the mower. Then what do you do?

6. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

Kubota ZD28 runs around $9000. Very good machine

7. zpoore

zpoore LawnSite Member

how fast does the dixie chopper go? (the diesel) and wouldnt 50 hp and 46 hp be over powered?

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Scag and Toro already have diesels.
    JD is bringing one out, if its not there already. So my dealer told me anyway!

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

zpoore, I believe the DC diesel does 13 mph. And no, I don't believe you can ever have a mower with too much power, Especially for what I bet King wants one for..

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

We have an eXmark 72" diesel demo and it exceedes everyones expectations. The fuel burn is less than 1 gph and with 15 gallons aboard you won't have to fill up often. The 26" tires with 10 psi plus the lumbar suspension seat really make for a smooth ride. One of my homeowner customers traded in his 72" efi units on 2 new diesels after a very short demo at his weekend getaway.

Demo the eXmark Lazer XP diesel for a real treat. The engine needs 30 or more hours to break in and deliver max hp.

Oldtimer