diesel mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clcare, Mar 13, 2004.

1. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

Is anyone thinking of trading gas machines for diesel because of the cost of fuel, just curious because I was considering a gas mower this time but because of fuel prices I may stick with the diesel mowers

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Diesel all the way - 1/2 the fuel consumption - will last 10,000 hrs, easy maintainance - just keep clean air and clean fuel going to them, and they just run and run and run.

1988 332 JD - 5000 hrs
    1998 455 JD - 1500 hrs
    1999 455 JD - 900 hrs
    1995 455 JD - 1400 hrs.

Never have had an engine problem of any kind.

Thanks, Brad

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you will save in efficiency with the diesel, but for the last few years, diesel has been the same price as cheap unleaded. So consumption would be the only benefit.The few grand more for a diesel will take awhile to recover as well.

Believe me, I love diesels, but it isn't the total answer.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Boy, you should check out our diesel prices. $2.09 a gallon...cheaper than unleaded I THINK NOT!

5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Kawi 29 HP DFI, if you would like gas. Wastes 27% less fuel than there 27 HP. Supposedly, if you put around 500 hrs a year you can save $ 450 to $500 a year, according to Scag reps.

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Kubota ZD21 and it uses 30% less fuel than the25 hp Kohler we have. I just bought our diesel supply for the year. It was $1.38 per gallon. Offroad diesel. Whether you go diesel or gas I would only buy a liquid cooled engine.

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

the payback will be very slow.

BUT doesn't mean don't buy a diesel

I like diesels mainly for the TORQUE! When the RPM's drop in thick grass or up hills, most diesels actually make more torque than they do at full speed.

Contrarily, a gasser will lose torque as the rpms fall, causing the RPMs to fall even more.

I have a JD1600 wide area mower. You can plow through 5 foot tall grass 11' wide!!! (Not that I recommend it...its abusive).
    That machine has a Yanmar 4 Cyl diesel. It will smoke out belts before stalling the engine.

Plus, diesel is safer to keep on the truck, and the engines run cooler meaning less likelihood of a fire if dry grass builds up on the machine.

Lots of good things about diesels. Only major drawback is cost and additional weight.

Ken

8. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are missing the most important point, the sound!!! Just kidding. You also tend to get a higher resale value with diesels if you could ever bring yourself to part with it!

9. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

thats the only gas engine we will ever own unless they come out with another with more HP.

had 6 tigers over the years, everything from 22LC Kaw, 25 kohler, 23LC KAW, 27LC KAW, etc.. our current machines have the 29DFI KAW and we absolutely love the engine. fuel economy is superb!

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

rob1325,

Don't listen to your Scag rep's. If your lucky you might save $200 in 500 hours. This is just by my yearly figures.

Gene