diesel mpg increase

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by newblade, Jan 14, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

What is the best way to add mpg to a diesel? What is the best that anyone is getting without pulling anything? I also don't want to spend a lot to increase it. I don't have one yet but I am looking to but either a Dodge or Ford.

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way to get good mileage out of a diesel is to first buy a Chevy. Next would be to chip it and do some intake/exhaust work. But trust me on the Chevy part. Had a Powersmoke. Chevy will run circles around it while getting 7-10 more mpg. Dodge, decent engine but the tranny sucks.

I get mid to high 20's with my '02 Duramax.

3. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

all the major manufacturers have good diesel trucks out right now , but i would go with a good old ford f 350 7.3 powerstroke .
    dependable ansd easy to work on. i know the last guy was talkin bout 6.6 diesels not sayin they are a bad motor but they have an insane amount of turbo lag which sucks and forget aobut workin on em , just bring it right to the dealer. the new cummins HO is amazing motor if you can deal with driving a dodge "motor will last ya 500k, body will rot off at 100k :p '

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I run all Dodge after having problems with Chevy trannies.

Anyways, to each his own, it's all personal preference anymore.

I know my 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4, 3.73 rearends, the new high output diesel, stock, no chip, no exhaust work, going down the freeway @ 65 mph, no trailer, 24 mpg.

75 mph, 20 mpg.

55 mph, 27 mpg.

Pulling a 24' v-nose all aluminum trailer, grossing out about 10k, about 14 mph.

This is all about 3 miles per gallon better than my 2002 Dodge, same setup with the "non" high output diesel.

5. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I get mid to high 20's with my '02 Duramax.[/QUOTE]

I'm only getting 13.5 with my 01 Duramax. Of course, this is on the job, stop and go city traffic. How bout the rest of you Duromax guys. What's everyone getting?? Do I have a Lemon?

6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I get around 10-11 mpg pulling my 8X20 Haulmark around town. What really sucks is that I moved out to the county last year. Its around 8 miles to my first customer. :cry:

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Is your truck an automatic or a 6 speed?

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Best way to get better MPG is to go down hill .

What do I know I have a 8.1 in a duelly. 6.2MPG Yea baby!!

Stoped today to test and research the Dodge Sprinter- 20-25MPG.
    Does anybody use this yet. They make a cab chassis and I was thinking about using that for the mowing crews. Any info?

9. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have an 04 Chevy Duramax 4x4 that gets about 14mpg pulling our 7x16 open trailer and about 17-18mpg empty on the interstate. The best we have gotten is 19mpg on a long trip. The truck also has about 28,000 miles I'm wondering if the mpg will get better with more miles.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Automatic, with or without the air conditioner running.