Diesel MPG

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Aug 23, 2012.

1. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Rarely.

Much more likely is that it was a geezer truck that sat in the garage a lot staying like new.

2. BPS##

from WY

For some folks maybe, for me I have 20 miles up hill against the wind to get to my primary work area. In the evening its 20 miles down hill generally with the wind behind me.

Depending on the wind the diesel will work pretty hard to pull an expanded metal sided trailer against the wind.
    I have little doubt that my v10 would work a heck of a lot harder and a lot slower than what the diesel does.
    (haven't tried it on the v10 because thats a backup truck, boss man's truck)

3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Do your research if your buying a high millage 7.3 because some years had powdered metal rods that were know to fail at about 200K. The 7.3 was a good motor by Powerstroke standards (I had a 97 F250) but the 12 valve & 24 valve 5.9's were much stronger engines. The block, pistons, crank, and just about everything else is much stronger and could handle 1000 HP with no internal mods. Just throw a better lift pump or FASS system on one of those 5.9's and they will last longer and have less issues.

4. BPS##

from WY

I think that started in 02 and continued into 03 until the 7.3 was replaced with the disaster that became known as 6.0shit.

"0shit" coming from what happened when that engine sh(t the bed along the side of the road.

5. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

If you keep it stock, the PM rods last.

6. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I never had a problem with my rods but my crank started to walk back in forth in the block. The thrust bearing failed and allowed end play on the crank shaft. The engine still ran fine but it was only a matter of times before the engine was going to blow and the core would be ruined. I swapped in another long block and said adios Ford.

If lots of Ford guys are putting Cummins 5.9's in place of their 6.0's and even 6.4's then why not buy a truck that comes with one? You have to give it to Ford that they build a nicer looking truck but when it comes to what's under the hood the track record of the Cummins beats all. If Dodge hadn't gotten smart in 89' and partnered with Cummins Dodge HD trucks might have become extinct.

7. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

I agree that the cummins 5.9 is an excellent engine. I have one and a ford 7.3. The only thing I like better on the dodge is the engine. Even that has had numerous problems in 110Kmi though.

8. BPS##

from WY

I might ask why buy some thing that is only valuable because of the engine?

For what ever reason dodge seats don't fit me.
    Very uncomfortable.

9. 01thump

01thump LawnSite Member
    from orlando

I have found that most people who bash on diesels never drove one so really have no input on the matter and i have found most people who are die hard ford and chevy guys have not drove a cummins dodge before yet you find people putting the cummins in chevys and fords that says something about the motor...please show me one person who put a power stroke in a dodge or chevy ..I am sure it is WAY more rare than the other way around..I own a 2004 dodge with the cummins and to be honest I would buy what ever truck came with a cummins I am all about the motor great mpg and power...my 2 cents..

10. BPS##

from WY

No one is arguing that the cummins isn't a good engine.

But I will not buy a dodge simply and only for the engine.