Diesel oil types?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bunton Guy, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a new bobcat diesel 61"z rider...it came with the 20hp Yanmar diesel. The book says to use 10W30 but my diesel truck (f-350) takes 15w-40 (rotella T ) just curious what is anyone else running in their yanmars?

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

We dont have any yamars but we run rotella in everything we have . Always have had good luck with rotella.
    ducky

3. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I have a 26 hp. Yanmar. I also use 15w 40 Rotella T. :)

4. Bunton Guy

My Yanmar manual says to use a SAE J-300C oil and DO NOT USE
    API-CE, CF-4, CG-4 and the bottle of Rotella T says it meets and or exceeds CF-4 & CG-4....so I guess that means not to use it?

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have any diesels, but I run Rotella in my work truck, tractor, and one older mower. My newer truck gets Mobil 1, and all other equipment gets Opti-4 oil.

I would think the rotella would work great in that diesel.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got an 18hp Yanmar in my Gator. I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40. It's $1.68 at Walmart.

7. mmathys

mmathys LawnSite Member

Is this an air-cooled engine? They run hotter and require special oils. I would go with what the manufacture recommends.

Mark

8. Bunton Guy

ITs liquid cooled with a fan just like a diesel truck.

9. mmathys

mmathys LawnSite Member

I couldn't find anything on SAE J-300C spec. I work with oils every day and have not heard of that one. The only case I know of where they don't want you to run CG-4/CH-4 oil is for 2-Cycle diesels like Detroit 671's. Here they want CF oil. Some of the additives cause problems with these engines.

I don't know why they wouldn't want you to run the CH-4 type oils.

Mark

10. Bunton Guy

I noticed this mower is one heck of a knock and fire motor.....it has a loud nock sounds similar to a Cummins diesel engine or a little bit like a GM diesel not a verry smoothe diesel purr like a duramax diesel truck or a powerstroke but my dealer said that the yanmar does have a loud knock and thats basically what a diesel engine is a knock and fire so I guess that is ok its just sometimes very loud on the ears in a enclosed trailer.