1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

diesel or gas 3/4 ton ??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by P.Services, Feb 20, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

with diesel at $3.50 and gas at $2.90 is it worth buying a diesel truck over a gasser?

a gas engine can go 200k miles easy
    gas engines are cheaper to maintain
    diesel will get a little better mpg
    diesel will pull better but a gas can pull the same but slower
    gasser is cheaper up front

im looking to get a new 3/4 ton truck soon what do you guys think about this?

2. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

the beneift i think is more power on a diesel. but if you work local and don't do much traveling i would go with a gas. less problems and cheaper maintenace

3. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Unless your towing all of the time, or driving more than average like, 30k or more a year i would go with a gas truck. just tonight I went by the gas station and gas went up .09 and diesel went up .19 cents. plus you here bad things about the emissions on the new diesel's, weather there true or not I don't know. I will most likely be going back to gas next time, I just don't pull enough with my truck to justify the diesel expense. It is nice to be able to put 200k on a truck and still have a demand for it though.

4. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to eventually replace your truck? Diesel's hold their value much better than gas. Personally, I like diesel, but that's just me.

5. P.Services

my truck has a trailer hooked to it every day in the summer but a gas engine pulls every thing a diesel will just a little slower.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

How many miles total a year are you planning to put on this pickup?

Anything less then 15K I would give gas a good look.

Diesel's ads about $8K to the initial purchase price. Mileage might be better. But at $3.50/gallon and gas at $2.90 that is 60 cent a gallon difference.

A 35 gallon tank of Diesel cost $122.5 where a tank of gas at 35 gallons runs 101.5. Or $21 more a tank full for diesel.

Trade in will be better for a diesel.

In all honesty I am happy with my gas powered 3/4 ton.

7. P.Services

i do about 15k-20k per year, i dont ever plan on selling the truck i just keep running them. i have always wanted a diesel truck for the power and just the fact that its a diesel but i just dont know if the number line up to justify the purchase. i am going to buy a f-550 with a diesel so maybe i should go for a gas in my truck.

up until a few days ago i swore i would never buy a 3/4 ton. i planned on buy a gmc canyon 4x4 4 door as my truck to run around in and any other truck was going to be a f-450 or f-550 dumper. but after i drove a canyon for a week with my head rubbing on the headliner and my chin resting on my knees i dont think i can drive a little truck anymore.

8. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I will run diesel as long as I can afford the fuel.

By going with a diesel powered truck, I have experienced zero engine or transmission issues, I get greater torque out of the engine - resulting in effortless towing capability, and finally - uncontested reliability - especially as the mileage adds up.

9. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel has been cheaper during the summer months.

10. Monte22

Monte22 LawnSite Member

I just bought a new gasser. I own 2 duramax's, but I do not think they are worth it any more. I do not usually keep a truck for more than 5 years. It will be gas for now on.