Diesel or Gas One-Ton?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by alden, Feb 25, 2007.

1. alden

alden LawnSite Member

I need help from some experts. I am in the process of buying a 1-ton dually, rackbody, dump for my landscaping business. I am looking at GMC's. We will use it for towing mowers/Kubota backhoe/bucket. Also delivering loam, bark mulch, trees. Plowing and sanding in winter. 10-15,000 miles per year. My question is this....gas or diesel? I've priced out both and the Diesel is about $7,000 more. If I go this route, I'd like to know that I will make out better in the long run. What do you think?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think if you are traveling long distances or up hill a lot you will like the diesels. If you are driving the vehicle or someone who will take care of it it could also be beneficial.

I don't see the point in having a vehicle with an engine that will go 300-K miles when the body and interior was trashed at 100-K. If your in town, flat roads stop and go driving, with employees driving I wouldn't bother with the diesel.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

What is acceleration like with newer diesels? Is it crap? How much slower compared to a gas?

Cheers
    Jeff

4. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

im not getting into this diesel / gas question, but if you have the money, go diesel!

5. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

A lot faster in my experience.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you don't plan on carrying a big payload a regular 1 ton with a dump on it doesn't carry much to start with. If your looking at Chevy/GMC better look at a 4500 it that has some payload. You put 1/2 a yard of dirt on a 1 ton dump its "legally" loaded.

As for gas or diesel it depends on how much money you want to spend its going to cost you big money either way a 8.0 big block drinking gas back at 5mpg or a duramax.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I believe all of the new diesels are faster than their gasser counterparts. I would go diesel if I could afford it, you need the extra power to be pulling all of the things you say you will.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I vote diesel, but it's not my money.

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I vote bigger truck.........4500+

How about low pro trucks with your higher GVW's?

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

mustang gt's have a hard time keeping up with my truck